© Georg Thieme Verlag Stuttgart · New York
Pneumatic Dilation in Achalasia
03 June 2003 (online)
Achalasia is a primary disorder of esophageal motor function, of unknown etiology, that is characterized by insufficient or absent lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxation and loss of peristalsis in the esophagus. These abnormalities are recognized radiographically by aperistalsis, esophageal dilation, and decreased opening of the LES, with a characteristic “bird-beak” appearance. The principal symptom of this disorder is dysphagia and pneumatic dilation is designed to alleviate or cure this symptom.
- 1 Kadakia S C, Wong R K. Graded pneumatic dilation using Rigiflex achalasia dilators in patients with primary esophageal achalasia. Am J Gastroenterol. 1993; 88 34-38
- 2 Sawyer R, Phillips C, Vakil N. Short- and long-term outcome of esophageal perforation. Gastrointest Endosc. 1995; 41 130-134
- 3 Vaezi M F, Baker M E, Achkar E, Richter J E. Timed barium oesophagram: better predictor of long term success after pneumatic dilation in achalasia than symptom assessment. Gut. 2002; 50 765-770
- 4 Eckardt V F, Aignherr C, Bernhard G. Predictors of outcome in patients with achalasia treated by pneumatic dilation. Gastroenterology. 1992; 103 1732-1738
- 5 West R L, Hirsch D P, Bartelsman J F, de Borst J, Ferwerda G, Tytgat G N, Boeckxstaens G E. Long term results of pneumatic dilation in achalasia followed for more than 5 years. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97 1346-1351
- 6 Vaezi M F, Richter J E. Diagnosis and management of achalasia. American College of Gastroenterology Practice Parameter Committee. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94 3406-3412
- 7 D'Onofrio V, Miletto P, Leandro G, Iaquinto G. Long-term follow-up of achalasia patients treated with botulinum toxin. Dig Liver Dis. 2002; 34 105-110
- 8 Kadakia S C, Wong R KH. Pneumatic balloon dilation for esophageal achalasia. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2001; 11 325-329
N. Vakil, M.D.
University of Wisconsin Medical School · Aurora Sinai Medical Center
945 North 12th Street, Room 4040 · Milwaukee, WI 53233 · USA
Fax: + 1-262-524-0581