Endoscopic Mucosal Resection Scissors for the Treatment of Early Gastric Cancer
Submitted 12 July 2002
Accepted after Revision 4 December 2002
24 June 2003 (online)
Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) is currently a common treatment for superficial gastrointestinal tumors. We have developed new EMR scissors for superficial lesions in the esophagus and stomach. These scissors have stainless steel blades with an electrocoagulation device for hemostasis. We report a case in which superficial gastric cancer was treated by means of the EMR scissors. The lesion was removed using the scissors and no major complication was encountered. EMR scissors can be used for endoscopic resection of superficial lesions of the esophagus and stomach.
- 1 Inoue H. Endoscopic mucosal resection for esophageal and gastric cancers. Can J Gastroenterol. 1998; 12 355-359
- 2 Kodama M, Kakegawa T. Treatment of superficial cancer of the esophagus: a summary of responses to a questionnaire on superficial cancer of the esophagus. Surgery. 1998; 123 432-439
- 3 Inoue H, Kawano T, Tani M. et al . Endoscopic mucosal resection using a cap: technique for use and preventing perforation. Can J Gastroenterol. 1999; 13 477-480
- 4 Makuuchi H. Treatment of Barrett’s esophageal cancer with special reference to endoscopic treatment. J Jpn Surg Soc. 1999; 100 249-256
- 5 Inoue M, Shiozaki H, Tamura S, Monden M. Endoscopic mucosal resection of early esophageal cancer. Jpn J Clin Med. 1996; 54 1286-1291
M. Miyashita, M. D.
Department of Surgery 1
Nippon Medical School · 1-1-5 Sendagi · Bunkyo-ku · Tokyo 113-8603 · Japan
Fax: + 81-3-5685-0989