Subscribe to RSS
The role of simeticone in small-bowel preparation for capsule endoscopy
Submitted 18 July 2005
Accepted after revision 8 June 2006
28 August 2006 (online)
Background and study aims: Capsule endoscopy is a new diagnostic method allowing painless visualization of the entire small bowel. However, there is as yet no standardized protocol for bowel preparation before the examination. The aim of this study was to assess the effectiveness of simeticone in reducing bowel gas bubbles in patients undergoing capsule endoscopy.
Patients and methods: A randomized, prospective, and controlled study was conducted, including 56 patients, from March to October 2004. The patients were randomly allocated to groups receiving either simeticone or no simeticone, on the basis of a computer-generated random number table. Patients in the simeticone group (n = 28) received 300 mg simeticone for bowel preparation 20 min before capsule endoscopy, while patients in the non-simeticone group (n = 28) received no medication for bowel preparation. Two experienced endoscopists assessed and graded the visibility of the mucosa and intraluminal gas bubbles in a single-blinded fashion.
Results: The visibility of the mucosa in the proximal small bowel in patients who received preparation with simeticone was considered to be better, with fewer intraluminal bubbles, than in those without bowel preparation (P < 0.025). Interobserver agreement was excellent (r ≥ 0.8, P < 0.05). No adverse effects of simeticone were observed.
Conclusions: Simeticone administration before capsule endoscopy improves the visualization of the mucosa in the proximal small intestine.
- 1 Iddan G, Meron G, Glukhovsky A, Swain P. Wireless capsule endoscopy. Nature. 2000; 405 417
- 2 Appleyard M, Glukhovsky A, Swain P. Wireless-capsule diagnostic endoscopy for recurrent small bowel bleeding. N Engl J Med. 2001; 344 232-233
- 3 Faigel D O, Fennerty M B. ”Cutting the cord” for capsule endoscopy. Gastroenterology. 2002; 123 1385-1397
- 4 Gong F, Swain P, Mills T. Wireless endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2000; 51 725-729
- 5 Fleischer D E. Capsule endoscopy: the voyage is fantastic - will it change what we do?. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002; 56 452-456
- 6 Ge Z Z, Hu Y B, Xiao S D. Capsule endoscopy and push enteroscopy in the diagnosis of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Chin Med J. 2004; 117 1045-1049
- 7 Lewis B S, Swain P. Capsule endoscopy in the evaluation of patients with suspected small intestinal bleeding: results of a pilot study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002; 56 349-353
- 8 Ge Z Z, Hu Y B, Xiao S D. Capsule endoscopy in diagnosis of small bowel Crohn’s disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2004; 10 1349-1352
- 9 Ginsberg G G, Barkun A N, Bosco J J. et al . ASGE technology status evaluation report: wireless capsule endoscopy. August 2002. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002; 56 621-624
- 10 Ell C, Remke S, May A. et al . The first prospective controlled trial comparing wireless capsule endoscopy with push enteroscopy in chronic gastrointestinal bleeding. Endoscopy. 2002; 34 685-689
- 11 Costamagna G, Shah S K, Riccioni M E. et al . A prospective trial comparing small bowel radiographs and video capsule endoscopy for suspected small bowel disease. Gastroenterology. 2002; 123 999-1005
- 12 Fireman Z, Mahajna E, Broide E. et al . Diagnosing small bowel Crohn’s disease with wireless capsule endoscopy. Gut. 2003; 52 390-392
- 13 Hahne M, Adamek H E, Schilling D, Riemann J F. Wireless capsule endoscopy in a patient with obscure occult bleeding. Endoscopy. 2002; 34 588-590
- 14 Liangpunsakul S, Chadalawada V, Rex D K. et al . Wireless capsule endoscopy detects small bowel ulcers in patients with normal results from state of the art enteroclysis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98 1295-1298
- 15 Viazis N, Sgouros S, Papaxoinis K. et al . Bowel preparation increases the diagnostic yield of capsule endoscopy: a prospective, randomized, controlled study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004; 60 534-538
- 16 Niv Y, Niv G. Capsule endoscopy: role of bowel preparation in successful visualization. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2004; 39 1005-1009
- 17 Mylonaki M, MacLean D, Fritscher-Ravens A, Swain P. Wireless capsule endoscopic detection of Meckel’s diverticulum after nondiagnostic surgery. Endoscopy. 2002; 34 1018-1020
- 18 Mow W S, Lo S K, Abreu M T. et al . Video capsule enteroscopy can be useful in the diagnosis and management of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) [abstract]. Gastroenterology. 2002; 122 A218
- 19 Rossini F, Pennazio M, Santucci R. et al . Clinical applications of capsule endoscopy [abstract]. Endoscopy. 2002; 34 A91
- 20 Scapa E, Jacob H, Lewkowicz S. et al . Initial experience of wireless-capsule endoscopy for evaluating occult gastrointestinal bleeding and suspected small bowel pathology. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97 2776-2779
- 21 Toledo T K, DiPalma J A. Colon cleansing preparation for gastrointestinal procedures. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2001; 15 605-611
- 22 Kark W, Krebs-Richter H, Hotz J. [Improving the effect of orthograde colonic lavage with GoLytely solution by adding dimethicone; in German]. Z Gastroenterol. 1995; 33 20-23
Z.-Z. Ge, M. D.
Dept. of Gastroenterology
Renji Hospital · Shanghai Institute of Digestive Disease · Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine · Shandong Zhong Road 145 · Shanghai 200001 · China ·