Subscribe to RSS
Factors Affecting Hearing Aid Adoption and Use: A Qualitative Study
29 May 2020 (online)
Despite a high prevalence of age-related hearing loss in older people, there is an unexplained low level of hearing aid adoption and use. Further research is required to determine the reason because hearing aids can vastly improve the quality of life for those with hearing loss.
The aim of this study was to explore factors associated with hearing aid adoption and use, and to determine whether these differed between groups with different hearing aid use behaviors.
Individual face-to-face semistructured interviews.
Three groups of older people with hearing loss in Northern Ireland were recruited: (1) regular hearing aid users (n = 12), (2) irregular hearing aid users (n = 10), and (3) hearing aid nonowners (n = 10).
Data Collection and Analysis:
Qualitative thematic analysis, using principles of grounded theory, was used to code the data and extract emerging themes for each of the three groups to distinguish similarities and differences between the groups. One-way analysis of variance and χ 2 tests were used to determine the difference in continuous and categorical variables, respectively, between the three groups.
Similar themes emerged across the three groups: the complexity of low hearing aid use and attitudes to hearing loss/hearing aid use. A third theme, inadequacy of audiology services, was identified in both groups using hearing aids. Older age people having more severe hearing loss and longer duration of hearing aid ownership were associated with greater hearing aid adoption and use.
Similar themes emerged from qualitative analysis across groups of people with hearing loss. More information for those with hearing loss and those with hearing aids and scheduled follow-up appointments for those with hearing aids are essential to improve hearing aid adoption and use in older people. Further research should focus on the most suitable methods of distributing this information and how often follow-up appointments should take place to achieve optimal hearing aid adoption and use.
This study was supported by the Department of Employment and Learning Funding, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom.
All participants gave written informed consent, and the study had the approval of the School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Science Research Ethics committee at Queen’s University, Belfast.
- Action on Hearing Loss 2011 Facts and Figures on Hearing Loss and Tinnitus. The Facts https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/search.aspx?gcs=facts%2band%2bfigures . Accessed February 24, 2016
- Action on Hearing Loss 2015 Hear to Help services in Northern Ireland. http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/supporting-you/hear-to-help-hearing aid-support/find-a-hear-to-help-service-in-your-area/northern-ireland/north-west.aspx . Accessed February 24, 2016
- Aguayo MO, Coady NF. 2001; The experience of deafened adults: implications for rehabilitative services. Health Soc Work 26 (04) 269-276
- Bertoli S, Staehelin K, Zemp E, Schindler C, Bodmer D, Probst R. 2009; Survey on hearing aid use and satisfaction in Switzerland and their determinants. Int J Audiol 48 (04) 183-195
- Boi R, Racca L, Cavallero A, Carpaneto V, Racca M, Dall' Acqua F, Ricchetti M, Santelli A, Odetti P. 2012; Hearing loss and depressive symptoms in elderly patients. Geriatr Gerontol Int 12 (03) 440-445
- Braun V, Clarke V. 2006; Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qual Res Psychol 3: 77-101
- Carson AJ. 2005; “What brings you here today?” The role of self-assessment in help-seeking for age-related hearing loss. J Aging Stud 19: 185-200
- Charmaz K. 2006. Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis. 1st ed. London: Sage Publications;
- Ciorba A, Bianchini C, Pelucchi S, Pastore A. 2012; The impact of hearing loss on the quality of life of elderly adults. Clin Interv Aging 7: 159-163
- Cox RM, Alexander GC, Gray GA. 2005; Who wants a hearing aid? Personality profiles of hearing aid seekers. Ear Hear 26 (01) 12-26
- Dalton DS, Cruickshanks KJ, Klein BE, Klein R, Wiley TL, Nondahl DM. 2003; The impact of hearing loss on quality of life in older adults. Gerontologist 43 (05) 661-668
- David D, Werner P. 2016; Stigma regarding hearing loss and hearing aids: a scoping review. Stigma and Health. 1 (02) 59-71
- Davis A, Smith P, Ferguson M, Stephens D, Gianopoulos I. 2007; Acceptability, benefit and costs of early screening for hearing disability: a study of potential screening tests and models. Health Technol Assess 11 (42) 1-294
- Dawes P, Munro KJ, Kalluri S, Edwards B. 2014; Acclimatization to hearing aids. Ear Hear 35 (02) 203-212
- Deepthi R, Kasthuri A. 2012; Validation of the use of self-reported hearing loss and the hearing handicap inventory for elderly among rural Indian elderly population. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 55 (03) 762-767
- Desjardins JL, Doherty KA. 2009; Do experiences hearing aid users know how to use their hearing AIDS correctly?. Am J Audiol 18 (01) 69-76
- Diao M, Sun J, Jiang T, Tian F, Jia Z, Liu Y, Chen D. 2014; Comparison between self-reported hearing and measured hearing thresholds of the elderly in China. Ear Hear 35 (05) e228-e232
- Fischer ME, Cruickshanks KJ, Wiley TL, Klein BE, Klein R, Tweed TS. 2011; Determinants of hearing aid acquisition in older adults. Am J Public Health 101 (08) 1449-1455
- Fishbein I, Ajzen I. 1975. Belief, attitude, intention and behaviour: An introduction to theory and research. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley;
- Gatehouse S. 2003; Rehabilitation: identification of needs, priorities and expectations, and the evaluation of benefit. Int J Audiol 42 (Suppl. 2) S77-S83
- Gill L, White L, Cameron ID. 2011; Service co-creation in community-based aged care. Manag Serv Qual 21 (02) 152-177
- Gopinath B, Wang JJ, Schneider J, Burlutsky G, Snowdon J, McMahon CM, Leeder SR, Mitchell P. 2009; Depressive symptoms in older adults with hearing impairments: the blue mountains study. J Am Geriatr Soc 57 (07) 1306-1308
- Gopinath B, Schneider J, Hartley D, Teber E, McMahon CM, Leeder SR, Mitchell P. 2011; Incidence and predictors of hearing aid use and ownership among older adults with hearing loss. Ann Epidemiol 21 (07) 497-506
- Guerra-Zúñiga M, Cardemil-Morales F, Albertz-Arévalo N, Rahal-Espejo M. 2014; [Explanations for the non-use of hearing aids in a group of older adults. A qualitative study]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 65 (01) 8-14
- Jenstad L, Moon J. 2011; Systematic review of barriers and facilitators to hearing aid uptake in older adults. Audiology Res 1 (01) e25
- Kelly TB, Tolson D, Day T, McColgan G, Kroll T, Maclaren W. 2013; Older people’s views on what they need to successfully adjust to life with a hearing aid. Health Soc Care Community 21 (03) 293-302
- Kiely KM, Gopinath B, Mitchell P, Browning CJ, Anstey KJ. 2012; Evaluating a dichotomized measure of self-reported hearing loss against gold standard audiometry: prevalence estimates and age bias in a pooled national data set. J Aging Health 24 (03) 439-458
- Knudsen LV, Oberg M, Nielsen C, Naylor G, Kramer SE. 2010; Factors influencing help seeking, hearing aid uptake, hearing aid use and satisfaction with hearing aids: a review of the literature. Trends Amplif 14 (03) 127-154
- Kochkin S. 2005; MarkeTrak VII : hearing loss population tops 31 million people. Hear Rev 12: 16-29
- Lane KR, Clark MK. 2016; Assisting older persons with adjusting to hearing aids. Clin Nurs Res 25 (01) 30-44
- Laplante-Lévesque A, Knudsen LV, Preminger JE, Jones L, Nielsen C, Öberg M, Lunner T, Hickson L, Naylor G, Kramer SE. 2012; Hearing help-seeking and rehabilitation: perspectives of adults with hearing impairment. Int J Audiol 51 (02) 93-102
- Laplante-Lévesque A, Jensen LD, Dawes P, Nielsen C. 2013; Optimal hearing aid use: focus groups with hearing aid clients and audiologists. Ear Hear 34 (02) 193-202
- Li CM, Zhang X, Hoffman HJ, Cotch MF, Themann CL, Wilson MR. 2014; Hearing impairment associated with depression in US adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2010. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140 (04) 293-302
- Linssen AM, Joore MA, Minten RK, van Leeuwen YD, Anteunis LJ. 2013; Qualitative interviews on the beliefs and feelings of adults towards their ownership, but non-use of hearing aids. Int J Audiol 52 (10) 670-677
- Lockey K, Jennings MB, Shaw L. 2010; Exploring hearing aid use in older women through narratives. Int J Audiol 49 (08) 542-549
- Lotfi Y, Mehrkian S, Moossavi A, Faghih-Zadeh S. 2009; Quality of life improvement in hearing-impaired elderly people after wearing a hearing aid. Arch Iran Med 12 (04) 365-370
- Lupsakko TA, Kautiainen HJ, Sulkava R. 2005; The non-use of hearing aids in people aged 75 years and over in the city of Kuopio in Finland. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262 (03) 165-169
- Meister H, Rählmann S, Walger M, Margolf-Hackl S, Kießling J. 2015; Hearing aid fitting in older persons with hearing impairment: the influence of cognitive function, age, and hearing loss on hearing aid benefit. Clin Interv Aging 10: 435-443
- Meyer C, Hickson L. 2012; What factors influence help-seeking for hearing impairment and hearing aid adoption in older adults?. Int J Audiol 51 (02) 66-74
- Meyer C, Hickson L, Fletcher A. 2014; Identifying the barriers and facilitators to optimal hearing aid self-efficacy. Int J Audiol 53 (Suppl. 1) S28-S37
- Mulrow CD, Aguilar C, Endicott JE, Velez R, Tuley MR, Charlip WS, Hill JA. 1990; Association between hearing impairment and the quality of life of elderly individuals. J Am Geriatr Soc 38 (01) 45-50
- Ng JH, Loke AY. 2015; Determinants of hearing-aid adoption and use among the elderly: a systematic review. Int J Audiol 54 (05) 291-300
- NHS 2015 Hearing aids. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/hearing-problems/Pages/hearing aids.aspx . Accessed February 24, 2016
- Noh S, Gagné JP, Kaspar V. 1994; Models of health behaviours and compliance: applications to audiological rehabilitation research. J Acad Rehabil Audiol 27 (Mono Suppl) 375-389
- Pacala JT, Yueh B. 2012; Hearing deficits in the older patient: “I didn’t notice anything”. JAMA 307 (11) 1185-1194
- Popelka MM, Cruickshanks KJ, Wiley TL, Tweed TS, Klein BE, Klein R. 1998; Low prevalence of hearing aid use among older adults with hearing loss: the Epidemiology of hearing loss study. J Am Geriatr Soc 46 (09) 1075-1078
- Preminger JE, Oxenbøll M, Barnett MB, Jensen LD, Laplante-Lévesque A. 2015; Perceptions of adults with hearing impairment regarding the promotion of trust in hearing healthcare service delivery. Int J Audiol 54 (01) 20-28
- Solheim J, Kværner KJ, Sandvik L, Falkenberg ES. 2012; Factors affecting older adults' hearing-aid use. Scandinvian J Dis Res 14 (04) 300-312
- Strauss AL, Corbin J. 1990. Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques. Newbury Park, CA: Sage;
- Wallhagen MI. 2010; The stigma of hearing loss. Gerontologist 50 (01) 66-75
- Wayne RV, Johnsrude IS. 2015; A review of causal mechanisms underlying the link between age-related hearing loss and cognitive decline. Ageing Res Rev 23 (Pt. B) 154-166
- Williger B, Lang FR. 2015; Hearing aid use in everyday life: managing contextual variability. Gerontology 61 (02) 158-165