Subscribe to RSS
Successful ankle replantation in two cases with different presentations
We report our experience of treating two patients with ankle amputation with different presentations. The first case was a clean-cut sharp amputation. The second case was an avulsion injury following a motor vehicle accident in a patient who arrived 8 hours after the injury. Replantation was successful in both cases. In avulsion injuries, a secondary operation for wound coverage is required at a later stage. With good strategy and a support team, encouraging limb survival outcomes are possible post-replantation.
This article was presented at the PRS Korea 2017 on November 10–12 2017, in Seoul, Korea.
Received: 15 March 2018
Accepted: 30 May 2019
Article published online:
22 May 2022
© 2020. The Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, permitting unrestricted noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Cavadas PC, Landin L, Ibanez J. et al. Infrapopliteal lower extremity replantation. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 124: 532-9
- 2 Cavadas PC, Thione A. Lower limb replantation. In: Salyapongse AN, Poore S, Afifi A. et al. Extremity replantation: a comprehensive clinical guide. New York: Springer; 2015: 145-59
- 3 Bosse MJ, McCarthy ML, Jones AL. et al. The insensate foot following severe lower extremity trauma: an indication for amputation?. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005; 87: 2601-8
- 4 Kutz JE, Jupiter JB, Tsai TM. Lower limb replantation: a report of nine cases. Foot Ankle 1983; 3: 197-202
- 5 Battiston B, Tos P, Pontini I. et al. Lower limb replantations: indications and a new scoring system. Microsurgery 2002; 22: 187-92
- 6 Hierner R, Betz A, Pohlemann T. et al. Long-term results after lower-leg replantation. Eur J Trauma 2005; 31: 389-97