Subscribe to RSS
Metformin Compared with Insulin in the Treatment of Pregnant Women with Overt Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial
31 May 2012
04 June 2012
24 October 2012 (online)
Objective To compare the safety and tolerability of metformin to insulin for glycemic control among women with preexisting type 2 and early A2 gestational diabetes.
Study Design Women with preexisting type 2 diabetes and those diagnosed with gestational diabetes who required medical management prior to 20 weeks were randomly assigned to metformin or insulin. Glycemic control, defined as >50% capillary blood glucose within target range, was compared between groups. Other outcomes included patient tolerance, neonatal and obstetric complications, maternal weight gain, neonatal cord blood C-peptide, and patient satisfaction with therapy.
Results Twenty-eight women completed the study, with 14 in each group. Of the 15 women assigned to metformin, 100% continued to receive metformin until delivery, although 43% required supplemental insulin to achieve glycemic control. Glucose measures did not differ between the groups, and the proportion who met fasting and postprandial glycemic target values did not differ between the groups. Women treated with metformin had significantly fewer subjective episodes of hypoglycemia compared with those using insulin (0% versus 36%; p = 0.04) as well as reported glucose values < 60 mg/dL (7.1% versus 50%; p = 0.03).
Conclusion Metformin should be considered for treatment of overt diabetes and early A2 gestational diabetes in pregnancy.
- 1 Landon MB, Mele L, Spong CY , et al. The relationship between maternal glycemia and perinatal outcome. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 117 (2 Pt 1) 218-224
- 2 Metzger BE, Lowe LP, Dyer AR , et al. Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 1991-2002
- 3 Langer O, Conway DL, Berkus MD, Xenakis EM, Gonzales O. A comparison of glyburide and insulin in women with gestational diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 1134-1138
- 4 Rowan JA, Hague WM, Gao W, Battin MR, Moore MP. MiG Trial Investigators. Metformin versus insulin for the treatment of gestational diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2003-2015
- 5 Sirtori CR, Pasik C. Re-evaluation of a biguanide, metformin: mechanism of action and tolerability. Pharmacol Res 1994; 30: 187-228
- 6 Nanovskaya TN, Nekhayeva IA, Patrikeeva SL, Hankins GD, Ahmed MS. Transfer of metformin across the dually perfused human placental lobule. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2006; 195: 1081-1085
- 7 Kovo M, Kogman N, Ovadia O, Nakash I, Golan A, Hoffman A. Carrier-mediated transport of metformin across the human placenta determined by using the ex vivo perfusion of the placental cotyledon model. Prenat Diagn 2008; 28: 544-548
- 8 Hemauer SJ, Patrikeeva SL, Nanovskaya TN, Hankins GD, Ahmed MS. Role of human placental apical membrane transporters in the efflux of glyburide, rosiglitazone, and metformin. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010; 202: 383 , e1–e7
- 9 Vanky E, Zahlsen K, Spigset O, Carlsen SM. Placental passage of metformin in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 2005; 83: 1575-1578
- 10 Gilbert C, Valois M, Koren G. Pregnancy outcome after first-trimester exposure to metformin: a meta-analysis. Fertil Steril 2006; 86: 658-663
- 11 National Diabetes Data Group. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and other categories of glucose intolerance. Diabetes 1979; 28: 1039-1057
- 12 Rai L, Meenakshi D, Kamath A. Metformin—a convenient alternative to insulin for Indian women with diabetes in pregnancy. Indian J Med Sci 2009; 63: 491-497
- 13 Ekpebegh CO, Coetzee EJ, van der Merwe L, Levitt NS. A 10-year retrospective analysis of pregnancy outcome in pregestational Type 2 diabetes: comparison of insulin and oral glucose-lowering agents. Diabet Med 2007; 24: 253-258
- 14 Glueck CJ, Goldenberg N, Pranikoff J, Loftspring M, Sieve L, Wang P. Height, weight, and motor-social development during the first 18 months of life in 126 infants born to 109 mothers with polycystic ovary syndrome who conceived on and continued metformin through pregnancy. Hum Reprod 2004; 19: 1323-1330
- 15 Coetzee EJ, Jackson WP. Metformin in management of pregnant insulin-independent diabetics. Diabetologia 1979; 16: 241-245
- 16 Coetzee EJ, Jackson WP. Diabetes newly diagnosed during pregnancy: a 4-year study at Groote Schuur Hospital. S Afr Med J 1979; 56: 467-475
- 17 Moore LE, Briery CM, Clokey D , et al. Metformin and insulin in the management of gestational diabetes mellitus: preliminary results of a comparison. J Reprod Med 2007; 52: 1011-1015
- 18 Balani J, Hyer SL, Rodin DA, Shehata H. Pregnancy outcomes in women with gestational diabetes treated with metformin or insulin: a case-control study. Diabet Med 2009; 26: 798-802
- 19 Moore LE, Clokey D, Rappaport VJ, Curet LB. Metformin compared with glyburide in gestational diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2010; 115: 55-59