The Association between the Intertwin Interval and Adverse Neonatal Outcomes
09. März 2016
27. April 2016
30. Mai 2016 (online)
Objective Previous data examining the association between the interval between the delivery of the first and second twin (intertwin interval) and adverse neonatal outcomes are conflicting. We sought to evaluate whether intertwin interval is associated with adverse neonatal outcomes for the second twin in a contemporary U. S. cohort.
Methods This is a cohort study of women who delivered twins at or after 32 weeks gestation between 2006 and 2014 and whose first twin was delivered vaginally vertex. The intertwin interval was dichotomized as < 10 minutes or ≥ 10 minutes. Adverse outcomes included arterial cord pH ≤ 7.1, admission to the neonatal intensive care unit, respiratory distress, intraventricular hemorrhage, and death.
Results Of the 171 subjects, 61 (35.7%) had an intertwin interval of ≥ 10 minutes. There were no differences in maternal characteristics. Intertwin interval of ≥ 10 minutes was associated with an increased frequency of arterial pH ≤ 7.1 (22.0 vs. 8.2%, p = 0.03), which persisted after adjusting for confounders (adjusted odds ratio, 2.94; 95% confidence interval, 1.04–8.33). Other adverse outcomes did not differ.
Conclusion Intertwin interval of ≥ 10 minutes was associated with increased frequency of arterial pH ≤ 7.1 in the second twin, but no other adverse neonatal outcomes.
- 1 Martin JA, Hamilton BE, Ventura SJ, Osterman MJ, Mathews TJ. Births: final data for 2011. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2013; 62 (1) 1-69 , 72
- 2 Barrett JF, Hannah ME, Hutton EK , et al; Twin Birth Study Collaborative Group. A randomized trial of planned cesarean or vaginal delivery for twin pregnancy. N Engl J Med 2013; 369 (14) 1295-1305
- 3 Rayburn WF, Lavin Jr JP, Miodovnik M, Varner MW. Multiple gestation: time interval between delivery of the first and second twins. Obstet Gynecol 1984; 63 (4) 502-506
- 4 Rydhström H, Ingemarsson I. Interval between birth of the first and the second twin and its impact on second twin perinatal mortality. J Perinat Med 1990; 18 (6) 449-453
- 5 Stein W, Misselwitz B, Schmidt S. Twin-to-twin delivery time interval: influencing factors and effect on short-term outcome of the second twin. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2008; 87 (3) 346-353
- 6 Leung TY, Tam WH, Leung TN, Lok IH, Lau TK. Effect of twin-to-twin delivery interval on umbilical cord blood gas in the second twins. BJOG 2002; 109 (1) 63-67