Subscribe to RSS
The Anatomy of the Dorsal Capsulo-Scapholunate Septum: A Cadaveric Study
11 September 2016
03 December 2016
05 January 2017 (online)
Background Tears of the dorsal radiocarpal capsule at the level of the scapholunate interosseous ligament (SLIL) have recently been described in association with predynamic scapholunate instability.
Purpose The aim of this anatomical study of the dorsal capsulo-scapholunate septum (DCSS) was to examine the connection of the dorsal capsule on the SLIL and dorsal intercarpal ligament (DICL).
Methods Fourteen fresh frozen wrists from seven adult cadavers were dissected through a dorsal approach. Any dorsal attachment of the DICL on the dorsal surface of the SLIL, that is, the DCSS, was identified and measured (height and width).
Results The DCSS was consistently found connecting the DICL, the dorsal radiocarpal capsule, and the dorsal aspect of the SLIL. It was formed by the confluence of three arches like intersecting ribs in gothic architecture. The mean dimensions of the DCSS were 5.8 mm in height and 4.0 mm in maximum width.
Conclusion The DCSS that connects the SLIL with the dorsal capsule and DICL could be a constant structure of dorsal wrist. Further investigation is required to study the histology of the DCSS and its biomechanical properties in isolation to know whether the DCSS can be considered a secondary stabilizer of the scapholunate ligament complex.
Clinical Relevance A better anatomical knowledge of scapholunate ligament complex could help understand and manage instability of the wrist.
- 1 Berger RA. The gross and histologic anatomy of the scapholunate interosseous ligament. J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21 (02) 170-178
- 2 Berger RA, Garcia-Elias M. General anatomy of the wrist. In: An K-N, Berger RA, Cooney III WP. , eds. Biomechanics of the Wrist Joint. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 1991: 1-22
- 3 Geissler WB. Management of scapholunate instability. In: Geissler WB. , ed, Wrist Arthroscopy. New York, NY: Springer; 2005: 86-93
- 4 North ER, Thomas S. An anatomic guide for arthroscopic visualization of the wrist capsular ligaments. J Hand Surg Am 1988; 13 (06) 815-822
- 5 Van Overstraeten L. Anatomie arthroscopique et lésions des ligaments extrinsèques. In: Camus E, Van Overstraeten L. , eds. La chirurgie ligamentaire du carpe avant l'arthrose. Montpellier, France: Sauramps Medical; 2009: 105-116
- 6 Elsaidi GA, Ruch DS, Kuzma GR, Smith BP. Dorsal wrist ligament insertions stabilize the scapholunate interval: cadaver study. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2004; ;( (425) 152-157
- 7 Van Overstraeten L, Camus EJ, Wahegaonkar A. , et al. Anatomical description of the dorsal capsulo-scapholunate septum (DCSS). Arthroscopic staging of scapholunate instability after DCSS sectioning. J Wrist Surg 2013; 00: 1-6
- 8 Binder AC, Kerfant N, Wahegaonkar AL, Tandara AA, Mathoulin CL. Dorsal wrist capsular tears in association with scapholunate instability: results of an arthroscopic dorsal capsuloplasty. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (02) 160-167
- 9 Viegas SF, Yamaguchi S, Boyd NL, Patterson RM. The dorsal ligaments of the wrist: anatomy, mechanical properties, and function. J Hand Surg Am 1999; 24 (03) 456-468
- 10 Kuo CE, Wolfe SW. Scapholunate instability: current concepts in diagnosis and management. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (06) 998-1013
- 11 Berger RA. Arthroscopic anatomy of the wrist and distal radioulnar joint. Hand Clin 1999; 15 (03) 393-413 , vii
- 12 Buijze GA, Lozano-Calderon SA, Strackee SD, Blankevoort L, Jupiter JB. Osseous and ligamentous scaphoid anatomy: Part I. A systematic literature review highlighting controversies. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (12) 1926-1935
- 13 Mizuseki T, Ikuta Y. The dorsal carpal ligaments: their anatomy and function. J Hand Surg [Br] 1989; 14 (01) 91-98
- 14 Savelberg HH, Kooloos JG, Huiskes R, Kauer JM. Stiffness of the ligaments of the human wrist joint. J Biomech 1992; 25 (04) 369-376
- 15 Mitsuyasu H, Patterson RM, Shah MA, Buford WL, Iwamoto Y, Viegas SF. The role of the dorsal intercarpal ligament in dynamic and static scapholunate instability. J Hand Surg Am 2004; 29 (02) 279-288
- 16 Blatt G. Capsulodesis in reconstructive hand surgery. Dorsal capsulodesis for the unstable scaphoid and volar capsulodesis following excision of the distal ulna. Hand Clin 1987; 3 (01) 81-102
- 17 Lavernia CJ, Cohen MS, Taleisnik J. Treatment of scapholunate dissociation by ligamentous repair and capsulodesis. J Hand Surg Am 1992; 17 (02) 354-359
- 18 Wintman BI, Gelberman RH, Katz JN. Dynamic scapholunate instability: results of operative treatment with dorsal capsulodesis. J Hand Surg Am 1995; 20 (06) 971-979
- 19 Mathoulin CL, Dauphin N, Wahegaonkar AL. Arthroscopic dorsal capsuloligamentous repair in chronic scapholunate ligament tears. Hand Clin 2011; 27 (04) 563-572 , xi
- 20 Wahegaonkar AL, Mathoulin CL. Arthroscopic dorsal capsulo-ligamentous repair in the treatment of chronic scapho-lunate ligament tears. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (02) 141-148
- 21 Messina JC, Van Overstraeten L, Luchetti R, Fairplay T, Mathoulin CL. The EWAS classification of scapholunate tears: an anatomical arthroscopic study. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (02) 105-109