Subscribe to RSS
Corticosteroid Therapy in Neonatal Septic Shock—Do We Prevent Death?
06 June 2017
19 July 2017
24 August 2017 (online)
Objective The aim was to compare survival of patients with septic shock receiving or not hydrocortisone (HC) and to analyze the hemodynamic response to HC.
Study Design It is a retrospective study of 62 premature neonates with septic shock (confirmed bacteremia) and/or necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) stage 2 and above receiving inotropes with or without HC. We analyzed survival and hemodynamic response to HC.
Results Thirty-nine (63%) premature neonates received HC and were compared with 23 (37%) who only received inotropes. Vasoactive index score (VAI) decreased and blood pressure, urine output, and oxygen requirements improved significantly following HC. Despite receiving more inotropes (VAI of 33 [20–53] vs 10 [8–20], p < 0.001), being more premature (26 ± 2 vs 27 ± 2 weeks, p = 0.02) and more frequently having NEC (64 vs 26%, p = 0.004), patients who received HC had similar survival from septic episode (death: 22% vs 41%, p = 0.12). However, patients receiving HC during their sepsis were less likely to survive at their 1-year postmenstrual age follow-up when accounted for gestational age (GA) at birth and duration of inotropes (hazard ratio 6.08 p = 0.01).
Conclusion HC was used in infants with increased inotropic support. HC during septic shock was associated with similar survival from episode, but with decreased survival at 1-year postmenstrual age.
Keywordshydrocortisone - septic shock - hemodynamic profile - neonatal mortality - prematurity - relative adrenal insufficiency - necrotizing enterocolitis
Gabriel Altit designed the protocol, did the data extraction and data analysis, and wrote the first draft of the manuscript. Myriam Vigny-Pau helped with data extraction. Veronique Dorval, Anie Lapointe. and Keith Barrington worked on protocol design and data analysis and approved the manuscript.
- 1 Wynn JL, Wong HR. Pathophysiology and treatment of septic shock in neonates. Clin Perinatol 2010; 37 (02) 439-479
- 2 Wynn JL, Wong HR, Shanley TP, Bizzarro MJ, Saiman L, Polin RA. Time for a neonatal-specific consensus definition for sepsis. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2014; 15 (06) 523-528
- 3 Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A. , et al; Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines Committee including The Pediatric Subgroup. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012. Intensive Care Med 2013; 39 (02) 165-228
- 4 Brierley J, Carcillo JA, Choong K. , et al. Clinical practice parameters for hemodynamic support of pediatric and neonatal septic shock: 2007 update from the American College of Critical Care Medicine. Crit Care Med 2009; 37 (02) 666-688
- 5 Scott SM, Watterberg KL. Effect of gestational age, postnatal age, and illness on plasma cortisol concentrations in premature infants. Pediatr Res 1995; 37 (01) 112-116
- 6 Ng PC, Lee CH, Bnur FL. , et al. A double-blind, randomized, controlled study of a “stress dose” of hydrocortisone for rescue treatment of refractory hypotension in preterm infants. Pediatrics 2006; 117 (02) 367-375
- 7 Salas G, Travaglianti M, Leone A, Couceiro C, Rodríguez S, Fariña D. [Hydrocortisone for the treatment of refractory hypotension: a randomized controlled trial]. An Pediatr (Barc) 2014; 80 (06) 387-393
- 8 Higgins S, Friedlich P, Seri I. Hydrocortisone for hypotension and vasopressor dependence in preterm neonates: a meta-analysis. J Perinatol 2010; 30 (06) 373-378
- 9 Rios DR, Moffett BS, Kaiser JR. Trends in pharmacotherapy for neonatal hypotension. J Pediatr 2014; 165 (04) 697-701.e1
- 10 Sonntag J, Wagner MH, Waldschmidt J, Wit J, Obladen M. Multisystem organ failure and capillary leak syndrome in severe necrotizing enterocolitis of very low birth weight infants. J Pediatr Surg 1998; 33 (03) 481-484
- 11 Sharma R, Tepas III JJ, Hudak ML. , et al. Neonatal gut barrier and multiple organ failure: role of endotoxin and proinflammatory cytokines in sepsis and necrotizing enterocolitis. J Pediatr Surg 2007; 42 (03) 454-461
- 12 Wernovsky G, Wypij D, Jonas RA. , et al. Postoperative course and hemodynamic profile after the arterial switch operation in neonates and infants. A comparison of low-flow cardiopulmonary bypass and circulatory arrest. Circulation 1995; 92 (08) 2226-2235
- 13 Skippen PW, Krahn GE. Acute renal failure in children undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass. Crit Care Resusc 2005; 7 (04) 286-291
- 14 Bell MJ, Ternberg JL, Feigin RD. , et al. Neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis. Therapeutic decisions based upon clinical staging. Ann Surg 1978; 187 (01) 1-7
- 15 Jobe AH, Bancalari E. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163 (07) 1723-1729
- 16 Takci S, Yigit S, Korkmaz A, Yurdakök M. Comparison between oscillometric and invasive blood pressure measurements in critically ill premature infants. Acta Paediatr 2012; 101 (02) 132-135
- 17 Taketomo CK, Hodding JH, Kraus DM. Pediatric & Neonatal Dosage Handbook: A Comprehensive Resource for All Clinicians Treating Pediatric and Neonatal Patients. Hudson, OH: LexiComp Incorporated; 2016. –2017
- 18 Gleason CA, Devaskar S. Avery's Diseases of the Newborn: Expert Consult-Online. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2011
- 19 Cantey JB, Milstone AM. Bloodstream infections: epidemiology and resistance. Clin Perinatol 2015; 42 (01) 1-16 , vii vii
- 20 Fernandez EF, Watterberg KL. Relative adrenal insufficiency in the preterm and term infant. J Perinatol 2009; 29 (02) (Suppl. 02) S44-S49
- 21 Cooper MS, Stewart PM. Corticosteroid insufficiency in acutely ill patients. N Engl J Med 2003; 348 (08) 727-734
- 22 Annane D, Sébille V, Charpentier C. , et al. Effect of treatment with low doses of hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone on mortality in patients with septic shock. JAMA 2002; 288 (07) 862-871
- 23 Annane D, Bellissant E, Bollaert PE, Briegel J, Keh D, Kupfer Y. Corticosteroids for severe sepsis and septic shock: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2004; 329 (7464): 480
- 24 Annane D, Bellissant E, Bollaert PE. , et al. Corticosteroids in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock in adults: a systematic review. JAMA 2009; 301 (22) 2362-2375
- 25 Sprung CL, Annane D, Keh D. , et al; CORTICUS Study Group. Hydrocortisone therapy for patients with septic shock. N Engl J Med 2008; 358 (02) 111-124
- 26 Nuntnarumit P, Yang W, Bada-Ellzey HS. Blood pressure measurements in the newborn. Clin Perinatol 1999; 26 (04) 981-996 , x x
- 27 Hull MA, Fisher JG, Gutierrez IM. , et al. Mortality and management of surgical necrotizing enterocolitis in very low birth weight neonates: a prospective cohort study. J Am Coll Surg 2014; 218 (06) 1148-1155
- 28 Fernandez EF, Montman R, Watterberg KL. Adrenal function in newborns undergoing surgery. J Perinatol 2010; 30 (12) 814-818
- 29 Fenton TR, Kim JH. A systematic review and meta-analysis to revise the Fenton growth chart for preterm infants. BMC Pediatr 2013; 13: 59