Bleeding Complications and Mortality in Neonates Receiving Therapeutic Hypothermia and Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
22 May 2017
24 August 2017
25 September 2017 (eFirst)
Objective The objective of this study was to compare complications and mortality in neonates with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) who did and did not receive therapeutic hypothermia (TH).
Study Design The Extracorporeal Life Support Organization registry was queried from 2005 to 2013 to identified infants with HIE. Infants ≤30 days of age with HIE on respiratory ECMO were included. Fisher's exact test and the Wilcoxon's rank-sum test were used to compare neonates with and without TH. Logistic regression was used to examine the association of TH with complications and mortality.
Results There were no difference between neonates with HIE who did (n = 78) and did not (n = 109) receive TH in demographics, severity of illness, complications, and mortality (p = 0.21).
Conclusion No differences in complications or mortality in neonates with HIE and respiratory ECMO were observed between those who did and did not receive TH. We suggest that for neonates requiring respiratory ECMO who also have HIE, TH is not contraindicated.
- 1 Kali GT, Martinez-Biarge M, Van Zyl J, Smith J, Rutherford M. Therapeutic hypothermia for neonatal hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy had favourable outcomes at a referral hospital in a middle-income country. Acta Paediatr 2016; 105 (07) 806-815
- 2 Shankaran S, Laptook A, Wright LL. , et al. Whole-body hypothermia for neonatal encephalopathy: animal observations as a basis for a randomized, controlled pilot study in term infants. Pediatrics 2002; 110 (2 Pt 1): 377-385
- 3 Shankaran S, Pappas A, McDonald SA. , et al; Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHD Neonatal Research Network. Childhood outcomes after hypothermia for neonatal encephalopathy. N Engl J Med 2012; 366 (22) 2085-2092
- 4 Bauman ME, Cheung PY, Massicotte MP. Hemostasis and platelet dysfunction in asphyxiated neonates. J Pediatr 2011; 158 (2, Suppl): e35-e39
- 5 Shah P, Riphagen S, Beyene J, Perlman M. Multiorgan dysfunction in infants with post-asphyxial hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2004; 89 (02) F152-F155
- 6 Roberts IA, Murray NA. Thrombocytopenia in the newborn. Curr Opin Pediatr 2003; 15 (01) 17-23
- 7 Roberts IA, Murray NA. Neonatal thrombocytopenia: new insights into pathogenesis and implications for clinical management. Curr Opin Pediatr 2001; 13 (01) 16-21
- 8 Forman KR, Diab Y, Wong EC, Baumgart S, Luban NL, Massaro AN. Coagulopathy in newborns with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) treated with therapeutic hypothermia: a retrospective case-control study. BMC Pediatr 2014; 14: 277
- 9 Sarkar S, Barks JD. Systemic complications and hypothermia. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2010; 15 (05) 270-275
- 10 Roy BJ, Rycus P, Conrad SA, Clark RH. The changing demographics of neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation patients reported to the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) registry. Pediatrics 2000; 106 (06) 1334-1338
- 11 Field D, Juszczak E, Linsell L. , et al; NEST Study Collaborative Group. Neonatal ECMO Study of Temperature (NEST): a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics 2013; 132 (05) e1247-e1256
- 12 Bennett CC, Johnson A, Field DJ. ; UK Collaborative ECMO Trial Group. A comparison of clinical variables that predict adverse outcome in term infants with severe respiratory failure randomised to a policy of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation or to conventional neonatal intensive care. J Perinat Med 2002; 30 (03) 225-230
- 13 UK Collaborative ECMO Trail Group. UK collaborative randomised trial of neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Lancet 1996; 348 (9020): 75-82
- 14 Tagin MA, Woolcott CG, Vincer MJ, Whyte RK, Stinson DA. Hypothermia for neonatal hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2012; 166 (06) 558-566
- 15 Lin ZL, Yu HM, Lin J, Chen SQ, Liang ZQ, Zhang ZY. Mild hypothermia via selective head cooling as neuroprotective therapy in term neonates with perinatal asphyxia: an experience from a single neonatal intensive care unit. J Perinatol 2006; 26 (03) 180-184
- 16 Azzopardi DV, Strohm B, Edwards AD. , et al; TOBY Study Group. Moderate hypothermia to treat perinatal asphyxial encephalopathy. N Engl J Med 2009; 361 (14) 1349-1358
- 17 Simbruner G, Mittal RA, Rohlmann F, Muche R. ; neo.nEURO.network Trial Participants. Systemic hypothermia after neonatal encephalopathy: outcomes of neo.nEURO.network RCT. Pediatrics 2010; 126 (04) e771-e778
- 18 Ichiba S, Killer HM, Firmin RK, Kotecha S, Edwards AD, Field D. Pilot investigation of hypothermia in neonates receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2003; 88 (02) F128-F133
- 19 Fagnoul D, Taccone FS, Belhaj A. , et al. Extracorporeal life support associated with hypothermia and normoxemia in refractory cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2013; 84 (11) 1519-1524
- 20 Bennett CC, Johnson A, Field DJ, Elbourne D. ; UK Collaborative ECMO Trial Group. UK collaborative randomised trial of neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: follow-up to age 4 years. Lancet 2001; 357 (9262): 1094-1096
- 21 McNally H, Bennett CC, Elbourne D, Field DJ. ; UK Collaborative ECMO Trial Group. United Kingdom collaborative randomized trial of neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: follow-up to age 7 years. Pediatrics 2006; 117 (05) e845-e854
- 22 Gluckman PD, Wyatt JS, Azzopardi D. , et al. Selective head cooling with mild systemic hypothermia after neonatal encephalopathy: multicentre randomised trial. Lancet 2005; 365 (9460): 663-670