Protective Effects of Quercetin on Necrotizing Enterocolitis in a Neonatal Rat Model
01 March 2017
06 October 2017
13 November 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) is one of the major health problems of newborn period. To date, a large amount of chemicals have been tested for NEC and some showed limited beneficial effects. The research for better results still continues. This study aims to investigate the effects of quercetin (QE) on NEC treatment in rats.
Methods Newborn rats were divided into control, NEC, and NEC + QE groups. In NEC and NEC + QE groups, experimental NEC was induced. NEC + QE group animals were also given QE. Weight changes of the animals were recorded, and serum total antioxidant status (TAS), total oxidant status (TOS), malondialdehyde (MDA), and glutathione (GSH) levels were measured. Histologic evaluation of the distal ileum and the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase dUTP nick end labeling staining were performed.
Results A significant increase in the TAS levels was observed in NEC + QE group. Only NEC group exhibited significantly higher TOS and MDA levels and lower GSH levels. Rats in the NEC + QE group had better histopathology and less apoptosis than NEC group.
Conclusion QE is effective in enhancing antioxidant defense mechanism, limiting oxidative stress, reducing intestinal damage, and preventing NEC development.
- 1 Tanner SM, Berryhill TF, Ellenburg JL. , et al. Pathogenesis of necrotizing enterocolitis: modeling the innate immune response. Am J Pathol 2015; 185 (01) 4-16
- 2 Niemarkt HJ, de Meij TG, van de Velde ME. , et al. Necrotizing enterocolitis: a clinical review on diagnostic biomarkers and the role of the intestinal microbiota. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2015; 21 (02) 436-444
- 3 Altintas R, Ciftci O, Aydin M, Akpolat N, Oguz F, Beytur A. Quercetin prevents docetaxel-induced testicular damage in rats. Andrologia 2015; 47 (03) 248-256
- 4 D'Andrea G. Quercetin: a flavonol with multifaceted therapeutic applications?. Fitoterapia 2015; 106: 256-271
- 5 Boots AW, Drent M, de Boer VC, Bast A, Haenen GR. Quercetin reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in sarcoidosis. Clin Nutr 2011; 30 (04) 506-512
- 6 Nair MP, Mahajan S, Reynolds JL. , et al. The flavonoid quercetin inhibits proinflammatory cytokine (tumor necrosis factor alpha) gene expression in normal peripheral blood mononuclear cells via modulation of the NF-kappa beta system. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2006; 13 (03) 319-328
- 7 Egert S, Bosy-Westphal A, Seiberl J. , et al. Quercetin reduces systolic blood pressure and plasma oxidised low-density lipoprotein concentrations in overweight subjects with a high-cardiovascular disease risk phenotype: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled cross-over study. Br J Nutr 2009; 102 (07) 1065-1074
- 8 Rivera L, Morón R, Sánchez M, Zarzuelo A, Galisteo M. Quercetin ameliorates metabolic syndrome and improves the inflammatory status in obese Zucker rats. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008; 16 (09) 2081-2087
- 9 Abdalla FH, Schmatz R, Cardoso AM. , et al. Quercetin protects the impairment of memory and anxiogenic-like behavior in rats exposed to cadmium: possible involvement of the acetylcholinesterase and Na(+),K(+)-ATPase activities. Physiol Behav 2014; 135: 152-167
- 10 Chaudhary S, Ganjoo P, Raiusddin S, Parvez S. Nephroprotective activities of quercetin with potential relevance to oxidative stress induced by valproic acid. Protoplasma 2015; 252 (01) 209-217
- 11 Kook D, Wolf AH, Yu AL. , et al. The protective effect of quercetin against oxidative stress in the human RPE in vitro. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2008; 49 (04) 1712-1720
- 12 Sistani Karampour N, Arzi A, Najafzadeh Varzi H, Mohammadian B, Rezaei M. Quercetin preventive effects on theophylline-induced anomalies in rat embryo. Jundishapur J Nat Pharm Prod 2014; 9 (03) e17834
- 13 Giannone PJ, Alcamo AA, Schanbacher BL, Nankervis CA, Besner GE, Bauer JA. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1: a novel therapeutic target in necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatr Res 2011; 70 (01) 67-71
- 14 Gencer M, Karaca T, Güngör AN. , et al. The protective effect of quercetin on IMA levels and apoptosis in experimental ovarian ischemia-reperfusion injury. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2014; 177: 135-140
- 15 Yoshioka T, Kawada K, Shimada T, Mori M. Lipid peroxidation in maternal and cord blood and protective mechanism against activated-oxygen toxicity in the blood. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1979; 135 (03) 372-376
- 16 Dvorak B, Halpern MD, Holubec H. , et al. Epidermal growth factor reduces the development of necrotizing enterocolitis in a neonatal rat model. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2002; 282 (01) G156-G164
- 17 Cadir FO, Bicakci U, Tander B. , et al. Protective effects of vitamin E and omeprazole on the hypoxia/reoxygenation induced intestinal injury in newborn rats. Pediatr Surg Int 2008; 24 (07) 809-813
- 18 Meyer KF, Martins JL, de Freitas Filho LG. , et al. Glycine reduces tissue lipid peroxidation in hypoxia-reoxygenation-induced necrotizing enterocolitis in rats. Acta Cir Bras 2006; 21 (03) 161-167
- 19 Karadag A, Ozdemir R, Kurt A. , et al. Protective effects of dexpanthenol in an experimental model of necrotizing enterocolitis. J Pediatr Surg 2015; 50 (07) 1119-1124
- 20 Aydemir C, Dilli D, Uras N. , et al. Total oxidant status and oxidative stress are increased in infants with necrotizing enterocolitis. J Pediatr Surg 2011; 46 (11) 2096-2100
- 21 Tayman C, Tonbul A, Kosus A. , et al. Protective effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) on intestinal damage in necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatr Surg Int 2011; 27 (11) 1179-1189
- 22 Yazıcı S, Akşit H, Korkut O, Sunay B, Çelik T. Effects of boric acid and 2-aminoethoxydiphenyl borate on necrotizing enterocolitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2014; 58 (01) 61-67
- 23 Kurzeja E, Stec M, Synowiec-Wojtarowicz A, Jowsa A, Pawłowska-Góral K. Studies on the effect of quercetin and nitrates on the redox homeostasis using in vitro model. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2014; 38 (01) 24-30
- 24 Aldemir M, Okulu E, Kösemehmetoğlu K. , et al. Evaluation of the protective effect of quercetin against cisplatin-induced renal and testis tissue damage and sperm parameters in rats. Andrologia 2014; 46 (10) 1089-1097
- 25 Nair MP, Kandaswami C, Mahajan S. , et al. The flavonoid, quercetin, differentially regulates Th-1 (IFNgamma) and Th-2 (IL4) cytokine gene expression by normal peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 2002; 1593 (01) 29-36