The Effect of Dorsal Angulation on Distal Radioulnar Joint Arthrokinematics Measured Using Intercartilage Distance
14 March 2018
15 June 2018
15 August 2018 (online)
Background The effects of dorsal angulation deformity on in vitro distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) contact patterns are not well understood.
Purpose The purpose of this study was to utilize intercartilage distance to examine the effects of forearm rotation angle, distal radius deformity, and triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) sectioning on DRUJ contact area and centroid position.
Methods An adjustable implant permitted the creation of simulated intact state and dorsal angulation deformities of 10, 20, and 30 degrees. Three-dimensional cartilage models of the distal radius and ulna were created using computed tomography data. Using optically tracked motion data, the relative position of the cartilage models was rendered and used to measure DRUJ cartilage contact mechanics.
Results DRUJ contact area was highest between 10 and 30 degrees of supination. TFCC sectioning caused a significant decrease in contact area with a mean reduction of 11 ± 7 mm2 between the TFCC intact and sectioned conditions across all variables. The position of the contact centroid moved volarly and proximally with supination for all variables. Deformity had a significant effect on the location of the contact centroid along the volar–dorsal plane.
Conclusion Contact area in the DRUJ was maximal between 10 and 30 degrees of supination during the conditions tested. There was a significant effect of simulated TFCC rupture on contact area in the DRUJ, with a mean contact reduction of 11 ± 7 mm2 after sectioning. Increasing dorsal angulation caused the contact centroid to move progressively more volar in the sigmoid notch.
Keywordsarthrokinematics - contact - distal radioulnar joint - intercartilage distance - triangular fibrocartilage complex
This research was performed in the Hand and Upper Limb Center Biomechanics Laboratory, Lawson Health Research Institute.
- 1 Karl JW, Olson PR, Rosenwasser MP. The epidemiology of upper extremity fractures in the United States, 2009. J Orthop Trauma 2015; 29 (08) e242-e244
- 2 Bhattacharyya R, Morgan BS, Mukherjee P, Royston S. Distal radial fractures: the significance of the number of instability markers in management and outcome. Iowa Orthop J 2014; 34: 118-122
- 3 Kihara H, Palmer AK, Werner FW, Short WH, Fortino MD. The effect of dorsally angulated distal radius fractures on distal radioulnar joint congruency and forearm rotation. J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21 (01) 40-47
- 4 Deshmukh SC, Shanahan D, Coulthard D. Distal radioulnar joint incongruity after shortening of the ulna. J Hand Surg [Br] 2000; 25 (05) 434-438
- 5 Ishikawa J, Iwasaki N, Minami A. Influence of distal radioulnar joint subluxation on restricted forearm rotation after distal radius fracture. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (06) 1178-1184
- 6 Fraser GS, Ferreira LM, Johnson JA, King GJ. The effect of multiplanar distal radius fractures on forearm rotation: in vitro biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 2009; 34 (05) 838-848
- 7 Hirahara H, Neale PG, Lin YT, Cooney WP, An KN. Kinematic and torque-related effects of dorsally angulated distal radius fractures and the distal radial ulnar joint. J Hand Surg Am 2003; 28 (04) 614-621
- 8 Kazuki K, Kusunoki M, Yamada J, Yasuda M, Shimazu A. Cineradiographic study of wrist motion after fracture of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 1993; 18 (01) 41-46
- 9 Tang JB, Ryu J, Omokawa S, Han J, Kish V. Biomechanical evaluation of wrist motor tendons after fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 1999; 24 (01) 121-132
- 10 LaRoque ES, Murray WM, Langley S, Hariri S, Levine BP, Ladd AL. Muscle moment arms in the first dorsal extensor compartment after radial malunion. A cadaver study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008; 90 (09) 1979-1987
- 11 Kihara H, Short WH, Werner FW, Fortino MD, Palmer AK. The stabilizing mechanism of the distal radioulnar joint during pronation and supination. J Hand Surg Am 1995; 20 (06) 930-936
- 12 Saito T, Nakamura T, Nagura T, Nishiwaki M, Sato K, Toyama Y. The effects of dorsally angulated distal radius fractures on distal radioulnar joint stability: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2013; 38 (07) 739-745
- 13 Ferreira LM, Greeley GS, Johnson JA, King GJ. Load transfer at the distal ulna following simulated distal radius fracture malalignment. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (02) 217-223
- 14 Prommersberger KJ, Pillukat T, Mühldorfer M, van Schoonhoven J. Malunion of the distal radius. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2012; 132 (05) 693-702
- 15 Brogren E, Wagner P, Petranek M, Atroshi I. Distal radius malunion increases risk of persistent disability 2 years after fracture: a prospective cohort study. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2013; 471 (05) 1691-1697
- 16 Cheng HS, Hung LK, Ho PC, Wong J. An analysis of causes and treatment outcome of chronic wrist pain after distal radial fractures. Hand Surg 2008; 13 (01) 1-10
- 17 Baeyens JP, Van Glabbeek F, Goossens M, Gielen J, Van Roy P, Clarys JP. In vivo 3D arthrokinematics of the proximal and distal radioulnar joints during active pronation and supination. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2006; 21 (Suppl. 01) S9-S12
- 18 Crisco JJ, Moore DC, Marai GE. , et al. Effects of distal radius malunion on distal radioulnar joint mechanics—an in vivo study. J Orthop Res 2007; 25 (04) 547-555
- 19 Xing SG, Chen YR, Xie RG, Tang JB. In vivo contact characteristics of distal radioulnar joint with malunited distal radius during wrist motion. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (11) 2243-2248
- 20 Willing R, Lapner M, Lalone EA, King GJ, Johnson JA. Development of a computational technique to measure cartilage contact area. J Biomech 2014; 47 (05) 1193-1197
- 21 Gammon B, Lalone E, Nishiwaki M, Willing R, Johnson J, King GJW. Arthrokinematics of the distal radioulnar joint measured using Intercartilage Distance in an in vitro model. J Hand Surg Am 2018; 43 (03) 283.e1-283.e9
- 22 Gordon KD, Dunning CE, Johnson JA, King GJ. Influence of the pronator quadratus and supinator muscle load on DRUJ stability. J Hand Surg Am 2003; 28 (06) 943-950
- 23 Optotrak Certus. Research-Grade Motion Capture. Manufacturer's Manual. Ontario, Canada: Northern Digital Inc; 2011: 1-8
- 24 Shaaban H, Giakas G, Bolton M. , et al. Contact area inside the distal radioulnar joint: effect of axial loading and position of the forearm. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2007; 22 (03) 313-318
- 25 Nishiwaki M, Nakamura T, Nagura T, Toyama Y, Ikegami H. Ulnar-shortening effect on distal radioulnar joint pressure: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (02) 198-205
- 26 Malone PS, Cooley J, Morris J, Terenghi G, Lees VC. The biomechanical and functional relationships of the proximal radioulnar joint, distal radioulnar joint, and interosseous ligament. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2015; 40 (05) 485-493
- 27 af Ekenstam F, Hagert CG. Anatomical studies on the geometry and stability of the distal radio ulnar joint. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1985; 19 (01) 17-25
- 28 Schuind F, An KN, Berglund L. , et al. The distal radioulnar ligaments: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 1991; 16 (06) 1106-1114
- 29 Linscheid RL. Biomechanics of the distal radioulnar joint. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1992; (275) 46-55
- 30 King GJ, McMurtry RY, Rubenstein JD, Ogston NG. Computerized tomography of the distal radioulnar joint: correlation with ligamentous pathology in a cadaveric model. J Hand Surg Am 1986; 11 (05) 711-717
- 31 Chen YR, Tang JB. In vivo gliding and contact characteristics of the sigmoid notch and the ulna in forearm rotation. J Hand Surg Am 2013; 38 (08) 1513-1519
- 32 Nishiwaki M, Welsh M, Gammon B, Ferreira LM, Johnson JA, King GJ. Distal radioulnar joint kinematics in simulated dorsally angulated distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (04) 656-663
- 33 Adams BD. Effects of radial deformity on distal radioulnar joint mechanics. J Hand Surg Am 1993; 18 (03) 492-498
- 34 Moore DC, Hogan KA, Crisco III JJ, Akelman E, Dasilva MF, Weiss AP. Three-dimensional in vivo kinematics of the distal radioulnar joint in malunited distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2002; 27 (02) 233-242
- 35 Pogue DJ, Viegas SF, Patterson RM. , et al. Effects of distal radius fracture malunion on wrist joint mechanics. J Hand Surg Am 1990; 15 (05) 721-727
- 36 Scheer JH, Adolfsson LE. Pathomechanisms of ulnar ligament lesions of the wrist in a cadaveric distal radius fracture model. Acta Orthop 2011; 82 (03) 360-364