Survival Rate on a 10-Year Follow-Up of Total Wrist Replacement Implants: A 23-Patient Case Series
03 November 2017
29 June 2018
07 August 2018 (online)
Background According to current literature, the estimated average survival rate for Remotion, the total wrist implants, is above 90% on an 8-year follow-up. We examined our series of Remotion to calculate its survival rate on a 10-year follow-up.
Case Description A total of 23 cases of total wrist implants were reviewed. The case series included 22 patients, 18 females and 4 males, of an average age of 55 years. The case series included 19 inflammatory rheumatic diseases, 3 Kienböck disease, and 1 posttraumatic arthrosis.
Conclusion The average survival rate of our case series was 95.7% on a 4-year follow-up, 91.3% on a 6-year follow-up, and 69% on a 10-year follow-up. On our review, the QuickDASH score, pain, wrist extension range of motion, and grip strength were improved postoperatively. No difference was shown between preoperative and postoperative values for wrist flexion, pronation, and supination. The case series included a septic case, treated by arthrodesis, and three total wrist implants displacements, two of which were treated by carpal implant, and the remaining one was treated by arthrodesis.
Clinical Relevance The survival rate of the total wrist replacement implant Remotion was estimated to be 69%.
- 1 Jolly SL, Ferlic DC, Clayton ML, Dennis DA, Stringer EA. Swanson silicone arthroplasty of the wrist in rheumatoid arthritis: a long-term follow-up. J Hand Surg Am 1992; 17 (01) 142-149
- 2 Cooney III WP, Beckenbaugh RD, Linscheid RL. Total wrist arthroplasty. Problems with implant failures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1984; (187) 121-128
- 3 Volz RG. Total wrist arthroplasty. A clinical review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1984; (187) 112-120
- 4 Lamberta FJ, Ferlic DC, Clayton ML. Volz total wrist arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis: a preliminary report. J Hand Surg Am 1980; 5 (03) 245-252
- 5 Dennis DA, Ferlic DC, Clayton ML. Volz total wrist arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis: a long-term review. J Hand Surg Am 1986; 11 (04) 483-490
- 6 Menon J. Universal total wrist implant: experience with a carpal component fixed with three screws. J Arthroplasty 1998; 13 (05) 515-523
- 7 Cobb TK, Beckenbaugh RD. Biaxial total-wrist arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21 (06) 1011-1021
- 8 Fourastier J, Le Breton L, Alnot Y, Langlais F, Condamine JL, Pidhorz L. [Guépar's total radio-carpal prosthesis in the surgery of the rheumatoid wrist. Apropos of 72 cases reviewed]. Rev Chir Orthop Repar Appar Mot 1996; 82 (02) 108-115
- 9 Ferlic DC, Clayton ML. Results of CFV total wrist arthroplasty: review and early report. Orthopedics 1995; 18 (12) 1167-1171
- 10 Sagerfors M, Gupta A, Brus O, Pettersson K. Total wrist arthroplasty: a single-center study of 219 cases with 5-year follow-up. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (12) 2380-2387
- 11 Ferreres A, Lluch A, Del Valle M. Universal total wrist arthroplasty: midterm follow-up study. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (06) 967-973
- 12 Boeckstyns ME, Herzberg G, Merser S. Favorable results after total wrist arthroplasty: 65 wrists in 60 patients followed for 5–9 years. Acta Orthop 2013; 84 (04) 415-419
- 13 Herzberg G, Boeckstyns M, Sorensen AI. , et al. “Remotion” total wrist arthroplasty: preliminary results of a prospective international multicenter study of 215 cases. J Wrist Surg 2012; 1 (01) 17-22
- 14 Pourtales MC, Kuntzmann H, Bertrand F, Pottecher T, Gouzou S, Liverneaux P. Continuous at-home postoperative analgesia using a catheter in the case of hand surgery: preliminary study about 40 cases. Chir Main 2010; 29 (02) 82-87
- 15 Murphy DM, Khoury JG, Imbriglia JE, Adams BD. Comparison of arthroplasty and arthrodesis for the rheumatoid wrist. J Hand Surg Am 2003; 28 (04) 570-576
- 16 Cavaliere CM, Chung KC. A systematic review of total wrist arthroplasty compared with total wrist arthrodesis for rheumatoid arthritis. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008; 122 (03) 813-825
- 17 Herzberg G. Management of bilateral advanced rheumatoid wrist destruction. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (07) 1192-1195
- 18 Trieb K. Treatment of the wrist in rheumatoid arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (01) 113-123
- 19 Adams BD. Wrist arthroplasty: partial and total. Hand Clin 2013; 29 (01) 79-89
- 20 Boeckstyns ME. Wrist arthroplasty--a systematic review. Dan Med J 2014; 61 (05) A4834
- 21 Yeoh D, Tourret L. Total wrist arthroplasty: a systematic review of the evidence from the last 5 years. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2015; 40 (05) 458-468
- 22 Bidwai AS, Cashin F, Richards A, Brown DJ. Short to medium results using the remotion total wrist replacement for rheumatoid arthritis. Hand Surg 2013; 18 (02) 175-178
- 23 Boeckstyns ME, Herzberg G. Periprosthetic osteolysis after total wrist arthroplasty. J Wrist Surg 2014; 3 (02) 101-106