A Long-Term Study of Application of Joshi's External Stabilizing System in Displaced Intra-articular Distal End Radius Fractures
03 October 2017
12 July 2018
19 August 2018 (online)
Background Fractures of the distal end radius are a common upper extremity fracture. Intra-articular distal end radius fractures are recognized as very complex injuries with a variable prognosis. The aim of the study was to assess the long-term functional outcome of patients treated with Joshi's external stabilizing system (JESS) for displaced intra-articular distal end radius fractures.
Materials and Methods A total of 170 patients with intra-articular distal end radius fracture were treated with JESS from 2014 to 2017. The patients were followed up at 2, 6 weeks, 6 months, 1, and 2 years (final) after the surgery. The assessment of pain, range of motion, grip strength, and satisfaction were assessed at 6 months, 1, and 2 years (final) follow-up and scored according to modified Mayo wrist scoring system.
Results The good and/or excellent results were found in 82.2% of cases. We observed that patients with age less than 50 years had greater prognosis as compared with patients with more than 50 years of age. Final outcome was also found better in males as compared with females at 6 months, 1, and 2 years postoperatively.
Conclusion JESS is an effective treatment technique for intra-articular distal end radius fractures in our community. On long-term follow-up of the patients treated with JESS for intra-articular distal end radius fractures, the functional and radiological outcomes were good with low complication rate.
- 1 Jupiter JB. Fractures of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1991; 73 (03) 461-469
- 2 Lichtman DM, Bindra RR, Boyer MI. , et al. Treatment of distal radius fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2010; 18 (03) 180-189
- 3 Handoll HH, Huntley JS, Madhok R. External fixation versus conservative treatment for distal radial fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 18 (03) CD006194
- 4 Knirk JL, Jupiter JB. Intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius in young adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1986; 68 (05) 647-659
- 5 Jupiter JB, Ring D, Weitzel PP. Surgical treatment of redisplaced fractures of the distal radius in patients older than 60 years. J Hand Surg Am 2002; 27 (04) 714-723
- 6 Colles A. On the fracture of the carpal extremity of the radius. Edinb Med Surg J 1814; 10: 181
- 7 Howard PW, Stewart HD, Hind RE, Burke FD. External fixation or plaster for severely displaced comminuted Colles' fractures? A prospective study of anatomical and functional results. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1989; 71 (01) 68-73
- 8 Lidstrom A. Fractures of the distal end of the radius. A clinical and statistical study of end results. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 1959; 41: 1-118
- 9 Schuind F, Cooney III WP, Burny F, An KN. Small external fixation devices for the hand and wrist. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1993; (293) 77-82
- 10 Jupiter JB, Lipton H. The operative treatment of intraarticular fractures of the distal radius. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1993; (292) 48-61
- 11 Kristiansen B, Kofoed H. Transcutaneous reduction and external fixation of displaced fractures of the proximal humerus. A controlled clinical trial. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1988; 70 (05) 821-824
- 12 Gupta AK, Gupta M, Sengar G, Nath R. Functional outcome of closed fractures of proximal humerus managed by Joshi's external stabilizing system. Indian J Orthop 2012; 46 (02) 216-220
- 13 Leung KS, Shen WY, Leung PC, Kinninmonth AW, Chang JC, Chan GP. Ligamentotaxis and bone grafting for comminuted fractures of the distal radius. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1989; 71 (05) 838-842
- 14 Pennig D, Gausepohl T. External fixation of the wrist. Injury 1996; 27 (01) 1-15
- 15 Graham TJ. Surgical correction of malunited fractures of the distal radius. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1997; 5 (05) 270-281
- 16 Jonsson U. External fixation for redislocated Colles' fractures. Acta Orthop Scand 1983; 54 (06) 878-883
- 17 Clyburn TA. Dynamic external fixation for comminuted intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1987; 69 (02) 248-254
- 18 Müller ME, Allgöwer M, Schneider R, Willenegger H. Manual of Internal Fixation: Techniques Recommended by the AO Group, 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1979
- 19 Jenkins NH, Jones DG, Johnson SR, Mintowt-Czyz WJ. External fixation of Colles' fractures. An anatomical study. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1987; 69 (02) 207-211
- 20 Grewal R, Perey B, Wilmink M, Stothers K. A randomized prospective study on the treatment of intra-articular distal radius fractures: open reduction and internal fixation with dorsal plating versus mini open reduction, percutaneous fixation, and external fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (04) 764-772
- 21 Kapoor H, Agarwal A, Dhaon BK. Displaced intra-articular fractures of distal radius: a comparative evaluation of results following closed reduction, external fixation and open reduction with internal fixation. Injury 2000; 31 (02) 75-79