Atraumatic Bucket Handle Abnormality of the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex in an Adolescent
04. Mai 2018
02. August 2018
11. September 2018 (online)
Background Congenital abnormalities of the triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) are rare and could be mistaken for a traumatic lesion. It is important to recognize these anatomical variations and to realize they do not always require treatment.
Case Description An incidental finding of an atraumatic bucket handle abnormality of the TFCC in a 15-year-old male, who was treated arthroscopically for dorsal wrist pain. This structure was resected, thus obtaining a normal looking peripheral TFCC.
Literature Review Literature regarding congenital abnormalities of the TFCC is limited to a meniscoid articular disc or a congenital perforation. To our knowledge, an atraumatic bucket handle abnormality has not been described yet.
Clinical Relevance This congenital abnormality of the TFCC could be mistaken for a traumatic lesion on MRI, or during wrist arthroscopy; therefore, it is important to realize that this entity may occur and does not require treatment.
- 1 Kim SJ, Moon HK, Chun YM, Chang WH, Kim SG, Lee SK. Congenital meniscoid articular disc of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009; 91 (08) 1094-1096
- 2 Kaempffe FA. Central perforation of the articular disc of the triangular fibrocartilage complex in a 17-year-old girl: could it be congenital?. Am J Orthop 1997; 26 (08) 565-567
- 3 Tan AB, Tan SK, Yung SW, Wong MK, Kalinga M. Congenital perforations of the triangular fibrocartilage of the wrist. J Hand Surg [Br] 1995; 20 (03) 342-345
- 4 Hogikyan JV, Louis DS. Embryologic development and variations in the anatomy of the ulnocarpal ligamentous complex. J Hand Surg Am 1992; 17 (04) 719-723
- 5 Abe Y, Kuwata N, Doi K, Kawai S. Wrist pain with triangular fibrocartilage thickening. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1999; 119 (1,2): 98-99
- 6 Theumann N, Kamel EM, Bollmann C, Sturzenegger M, Becce F. Bucket-handle tear of the triangular fibrocartilage complex: case report of a complex peripheral injury with separation of the distal radioulnar ligaments from the articular disc. Skeletal Radiol 2011; 40 (12) 1617-1621
- 7 Jose J, Arizpe A, Barrera CM, Ezuddin NS, Chen D. MRI findings in bucket-handle tears of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. Skeletal Radiol 2018; 47 (03) 419-424