Combined Volar T-Plate and Dorsal Pi-Plate for Distal Radius Fractures: A Consecutive Series of 80 AO type C2 and C3 Cases
25 July 2018
12 November 2018
15 January 2019 (eFirst)
Background The distal radius fracture (DRF) is the most common fracture among adults. In recent years, there has been a shift toward volar locking plates in the treatment of DRFs, and this shift has taken place with a low degree of evidence.
Question/purposes Can combined volar T-plating and dorsal pi-plating of AO type C fractures yield a good functional and radiographic outcome 1 year postoperatively?
Patients and Methods In a retrospective cohort study, we evaluated 102 consecutive patients operated with combined dorsal and volar plating, of whom 80 completed the 1-year follow-up. The DRFs were operated between 2012 and 2013. All cases were AO type C2 and C3 fractures. The primary outcome was functional scoring including radiographic examination. Secondary outcome measures included range of motion, visual analog scale (VAS) pain scores, and hand grip strength.
Results The median Batra radiographic score was 84.5. Wrist extension was 74% of the uninjured side, flexion was 70%, pronation was 94%, and supination was 90%. The Patient-Rated Wrist Evaluation score was 21 points, and the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand score was 19.4 points. VAS pain scores were 0 at rest and 3 during activity. Hand grip strength was 80% of the uninjured side. Radiographic outcome did not correspond to a patient-reported outcome. Hardware removal was performed in 15/80 cases.
Conclusions We conclude that a good outcome can be expected after combined dorsal and volar plating of DRFs. Radiographic outcome is not necessarily associated with functional outcome 1 year postoperatively. The rate of hardware removal was acceptable.
Level of Evidence III
Ethical Review Committee Statement
The study was approved by the regional ethical committee reference number 2016/455.
- 1 Court-Brown CM, Caesar B. Epidemiology of adult fractures: a review. Injury 2006; 37 (08) 691-697
- 2 Brogren E, Petranek M, Atroshi I. Incidence and characteristics of distal radius fractures in a southern Swedish region. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2007; 8: 48
- 3 Handoll HH, Madhok R. Conservative interventions for treating distal radial fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; ; ( (02) CD000314
- 4 Handoll HH, Madhok R. Surgical interventions for treating distal radial fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; ; ( (03) CD003209
- 5 Mattila VM, Huttunen TT, Sillanpää P, Niemi S, Pihlajamäki H, Kannus P. Significant change in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a nationwide study between 1998 and 2008 in Finland. J Trauma 2011; 71 (04) 939-942 , discussion 942–943
- 6 Mellstrand-Navarro C, Pettersson HJ, Tornqvist H, Ponzer S. The operative treatment of fractures of the distal radius is increasing: results from a nationwide Swedish study. Bone Joint J 2014; 96-B (07) 963-969
- 7 Koval KJ, Harrast JJ, Anglen JO, Weinstein JN. Fractures of the distal part of the radius. The evolution of practice over time. Where's the evidence?. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008; 90 (09) 1855-1861
- 8 Cui Z, Pan J, Yu B, Zhang K, Xiong X. Internal versus external fixation for unstable distal radius fractures: an up-to-date meta-analysis. Int Orthop 2011; 35 (09) 1333-1341
- 9 Xie X, Xie X, Qin H, Shen L, Zhang C. Comparison of internal and external fixation of distal radius fractures. Acta Orthop 2013; 84 (03) 286-291
- 10 Li-hai Z, Ya-nan W, Zhi M. , et al. Volar locking plate versus external fixation for the treatment of unstable distal radial fractures: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Surg Res 2015; 193 (01) 324-333
- 11 Saito T, Nakamura T, Nagura T, Nishiwaki M, Sato K, Toyama Y. The effects of dorsally angulated distal radius fractures on distal radioulnar joint stability: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2013; 38 (07) 739-745
- 12 Dario P, Matteo G, Carolina C. , et al. Is it really necessary to restore radial anatomic parameters after distal radius fractures?. Injury 2014; 45 (Suppl. 06) S21-S26
- 13 Knirk JL, Jupiter JB. Intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius in young adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1986; 68 (05) 647-659
- 14 Ring D, Jupiter JB. Operative fixation of fractures of the distal radius using the pi plate. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 1997; 1 (02) 125-130
- 15 Ring D, Prommersberger K, Jupiter JB. Combined dorsal and volar plate fixation of complex fractures of the distal part of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004; 86-A (08) 1646-1652
- 16 Grewal R, Perey B, Wilmink M, Stothers K. A randomized prospective study on the treatment of intra-articular distal radius fractures: open reduction and internal fixation with dorsal plating versus mini open reduction, percutaneous fixation, and external fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (04) 764-772
- 17 Sánchez T, Jakubietz M, Jakubietz R, Mayer J, Beutel FK, Grünert J. Complications after Pi Plate osteosynthesis. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005; 116 (01) 153-158
- 18 Muller M, Nazarian S, Koch P, Schatzker J. The comprehensive classification of fractures of long bones. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1990
- 19 Mellstrand Navarro C, Ponzer S, Törnkvist H, Ahrengart L, Bergström G. Measuring outcome after wrist injury: translation and validation of the Swedish version of the patient-rated wrist evaluation (PRWE-Swe). BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2011; 12: 171
- 20 Atroshi I, Gummesson C, Andersson B, Dahlgren E, Johansson A. The disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand (DASH) outcome questionnaire: reliability and validity of the Swedish version evaluated in 176 patients. Acta Orthop Scand 2000; 71 (06) 613-618
- 21 Batra S, Gupta A. The effect of fracture-related factors on the functional outcome at 1 year in distal radius fractures. Injury 2002; 33 (06) 499-502
- 22 Krukhaug Y, Hove LM. Experience with the AO Pi-plate for displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal radius. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2004; 38 (05) 293-296
- 23 Landgren M, Abramo A, Geijer M, Kopylov P, Tägil M. Similar 1-year subjective outcome after a distal radius fracture during the 10-year-period 2003-2012. Acta Orthop 2017; 88 (04) 451-456
- 24 Landgren M, Abramo A, Geijer M, Kopylov P, Tägil M. Fragment-specific fixation versus volar locking plates in primarily nonreducible or secondarily redisplaced distal radius fractures: a randomized controlled study. J Hand Surg Am 2017; 42 (03) 156-165 .e1
- 25 Wright TW, Horodyski M, Smith DW. Functional outcome of unstable distal radius fractures: ORIF with a volar fixed-angle tine plate versus external fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (02) 289-299
- 26 Teunis T, Mulder F, Nota SP, Milne LW, Dyer GS, Ring D. No difference in adverse events between surgically treated reduced and unreduced distal radius fractures. J Orthop Trauma 2015; 29 (11) 521-525
- 27 Knight D, Hajducka C, Will E, McQueen M. Locked volar plating for unstable distal radial fractures: clinical and radiological outcomes. Injury 2010; 41 (02) 184-189
- 28 Catalano III LW, Cole RJ, Gelberman RH, Evanoff BA, Gilula LA, Borrelli Jr J. Displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal aspect of the radius. Long-term results in young adults after open reduction and internal fixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997; 79 (09) 1290-1302
- 29 Ng CY, McQueen MM. What are the radiological predictors of functional outcome following fractures of the distal radius?. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2011; 93 (02) 145-150
- 30 Wilcke MK, Abbaszadegan H, Adolphson PY. Patient-perceived outcome after displaced distal radius fractures. A comparison between radiological parameters, objective physical variables, and the DASH score. J Hand Ther 2007; 20 (04) 290-298 , quiz 299
- 31 Cardoso R, Szabo RM. Wrist anatomy and surgical approaches. Hand Clin 2010; 26 (01) 1-19
- 32 Moritomo H. The distal interosseous membrane: current concepts in wrist anatomy and biomechanics. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (07) 1501-1507
- 33 MacDermid JC, Donner A, Richards RS, Roth JH. Patient versus injury factors as predictors of pain and disability six months after a distal radius fracture. J Clin Epidemiol 2002; 55 (09) 849-854
- 34 Thorninger R, Madsen ML, Wæver D, Borris LC, Rölfing JHD. Complications of volar locking plating of distal radius fractures in 576 patients with 3.2 years follow-up. Injury 2017; 48 (06) 1104-1109