Arthroscopic Hemitrapeziectomy and Suture Button Suspensionplasty in the Treatment of First Carpometacarpal Joint Eaton–Littler Stage 2–3 Arthrosis
11 March 2018
18 November 2018
24 January 2019 (online)
Background Degenerative arthritis of the first carpometacarpal (CMC) joint is a common degenerative condition in the hand. Many different surgical procedures have been applied for years. However, in the studies there is no consensus about the superiority of one technique to another.
Questions/Purposes In this study, we evaluated the results of the patients with first CMC Eaton–Littler stage 2–3 arthrosis who were operated to prevent first metacarpal joint lateral subluxation and migration with arthroscopic hemitrapeziectomy and suture button suspensionplasty.
Patients and Methods Between 2011 and 2014, 21 patients (16 female, five male) were evaluated retrospectively. Mean age was 52.3 years. The preoperative and postoperative assessments were performed with visual analog scale (VAS) and disabilities of the arm, shoulder, and hand score (DASH) scores. The Kapandji's thumb opposition score was used to assess thumb range of movement. The patients were assessed after arthroscopy according to Badia classification.
Results Mean follow-up period was 50.1 months. According to Badia classification, seven patients were found to be type 2 and 14 patients were type 3. The mean preoperative Kapandji's score was 7.6 and the mean postoperative Kapandji's score was 9.2. The mean VAS values were 8.2 preoperatively and 1.9 postoperatively. The mean preoperative DASH value was 23.4 and the mean postoperative DASH value was 5.5. The mean preoperative grip strength was 66.2 and the mean postoperative grip strength was 75.1. The mean preoperative pinch strength was 14.8 and the mean postoperative pinch strength was 20.2.
Conclusion Arthroscopic hemitrapeziectomy and suture button suspensionplasty is a minimal invasive technique and can be performed with low morbidity in the treatment of first CMC joint Eaton–Littler stage 2–3 arthrosis. By this technique, the patients' existing instability and pain problems can be solved. Complications, such as loosening of the suture button at the first metacarpal at the postoperative period due to direct trauma to the first CMC joint, could be avoided using a new suture button.
Type of Study/ Level of Evidence Therapeutic IV.
This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors. The study was approved by our institutional review board and ethics committee. This study was performed in IST-EL Hand Surgery, Microsurgery, and Rehabilitation Group, Gaziosmanpaşa.
- 1 Yao J, Song Y. Suture-button suspensionplasty for thumb carpometacarpal arthritis: a minimum 2-year follow-up. J Hand Surg Am 2013; 38 (06) 1161-1165
- 2 Yao J, Zlotolow DA, Murdock R, Christian M. Suture button compared with K-wire fixation for maintenance of posttrapeziectomy space height in a cadaver model of lateral pinch. J Hand Surg Am 2010; 35 (12) 2061-2065
- 3 Brunton LM, Wilgis EF. A survey to determine current practice patterns in the surgical treatment of advanced thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthrosis. Hand (N Y) 2010; 5 (04) 415-422
- 4 Kapoutsis DV, Dardas A, Day CS. Carpometacarpal and scaphotrapeziotrapezoid arthritis: arthroscopy, arthroplasty, and arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (02) 354-366
- 5 Park MJ, Lichtman G, Christian JB. , et al. Surgical treatment of thumb carpometacarpal joint arthritis: a single institution experience from 1995-2005. Hand (N Y) 2008; 3 (04) 304-310
- 6 Vermeulen GM, Slijper H, Feitz R, Hovius SE, Moojen TM, Selles RW. Surgical management of primary thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a systematic review. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (01) 157-169
- 7 Eaton RG, Littler JW. Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1973; 55 (08) 1655-1666
- 8 Badia A. Trapeziometacarpal arthroscopy: a classification and treatment algorithm. Hand Clin 2006; 22 (02) 153-163
- 9 Kapandji A. [Clinical test of apposition and counter-apposition of the thumb]. Ann Chir Main 1986; 5 (01) 67-73
- 10 Croog AS, Rettig ME. Newest advances in the operative treatment of basal joint arthritis. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 2007; 65 (01) 78-86
- 11 Gillis J, Calder K, Williams J. Review of thumb carpometacarpal arthritis classification, treatment and outcomes. Can J Plast Surg 2011; 19 (04) 134-138
- 12 Glickel SZ, Gupta S. Ligament reconstruction. Hand Clin 2006; 22 (02) 143-151
- 13 Wilson JN. Basal osteotomy of the first metacarpal in the treatment of arthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb. Br J Surg 1973; 60 (11) 854-858
- 14 Putnam MD, Meyer NJ, Baker D, Brehmer J, Carlson BD. Trapezium excision and suture suspensionplasty (TESS) for the treatment of thumb carpometacarpal arthritis. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2014; 18 (02) 102-108
- 15 Putnam MD, Rattay R, Wentorf F. Biomechanical tests of three methods to treat thumb CMC arthritis. J Wrist Surg 2014; 3 (02) 107-113
- 16 Rigby RB, Cottom JM. Does the Arthrex TightRope provide maintenance of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis? A 2-year follow-up of 64 TightRopes in 37 patients. J Foot Ankle Surg 2013; 52 (05) 563-567
- 17 Thompson JS. Surgical treatment of trapeziometacarpal arthrosis. Adv Orthop Surg 1986; 10: 105-120
- 18 Sai S, Fujii K, Chino H, Inoue J. Tendon suspension sling arthroplasty for degenerative arthritis of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint: long-term follow-up. J Orthop Sci 2004; 9 (06) 576-580
- 19 Sirotakova M, Figus A, Elliot D. A new abductor pollicis longus suspension arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am 2007; 32 (01) 12-22
- 20 Szalay G, Scheufens T, Alt V, Boecker W, Schnettler R. [Operative treatment of rhizarthrosis with trapezectomy and suspension of the first metacarpal with a Mini TightRope]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2014; 46 (03) 179-185
- 21 Endress RD, Kakar S. Double tightrope for basilar thumb arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (12) 2512-2516
- 22 Bednar MS. Osteoarthritis of the hand and digits: thumb. In: Berger RA, Weiss APC. , eds. Hand Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004: 1279-1288
- 23 Roman PB, Linnell JD, Moore JB. Trapeziectomy arthroplasty with suture suspension: short- to medium-term outcomes from a single-surgeon experience. J Hand Surg Am 2016; 41 (01) 34-39.e1
- 24 Gervis WH. Excision of the trapezium for osteoarthritis of the trapezio-metacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1949; 31B (04) 537-539 , illust
- 25 Hooke AW, Parry JA, Kakar S. Mini tightrope fixation versus ligament reconstruction–tendon interposition for maintenance of post-trapeziectomy space height: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 2016; 41 (03) 399-403
- 26 Tomaino MM. Suspensionplasty for basal joint arthritis: why and how. Hand Clin 2006; 22 (02) 171-175
- 27 Field J, Buchanan D. To suspend or not to suspend: a randomised single blind trial of simple trapeziectomy versus trapeziectomy and flexor carpi radialis suspension. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2007; 32 (04) 462-466
- 28 Cox CA, Zlotolow DA, Yao J. Suture button suspensionplasty after arthroscopic hemitrapeziectomy for treatment of thumb carpometacarpal arthritis. Arthroscopy 2010; 26 (10) 1395-1403
- 29 Song Y, Cox CA, Yao J. Suture button suspension following trapeziectomy in a cadaver model. Hand (N Y) 2013; 8 (02) 195-200
- 30 Earp BE, Leung AC, Blazar PE, Simmons BP. Arthroscopic hemitrapeziectomy with tendon interposition for arthritis at the first carpometacarpal joint. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2008; 12 (01) 38-42
- 31 Adams JE, Merten SM, Steinmann SP. Arthroscopic interposition arthroplasty of the first carpometacarpal joint. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2007; 32 (03) 268-274
- 32 Menon J. Arthroscopic management of trapeziometacarpal joint arthritis of the thumb. Arthroscopy 1996; 12 (05) 581-587
- 33 Badia A. Arthroscopy of the trapeziometacarpal and metacarpophalangeal joints. J Hand Surg Am 2007; 32 (05) 707-724
- 34 Pellegrini Jr VD. The basal articulations of the thumb: pain, instability, and osteoarthritis. In: Peimer CA. , ed. Surgery of the Hand and Upper Extremity, Vol. 1. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1996: 1019-1039
- 35 Murley AHG. Excision of the trapezium in osteoarthritis of the first carpo-metacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1960; 42B (03) 502-507
- 36 Landes G, Gaspar MP, Goljan P, Jacoby SM, Bachoura A, Culp RW. Arthroscopic trapeziectomy with suture button suspensionplasty: a retrospective review of 153 cases. Hand (N Y) 2016; 11 (02) 232-237