The Impact of Hepatitis C Virus Infection on Buprenorphine Dose in PregnancyFunding None.
10 June 2019
07 September 2019
26 October 2019 (online)
Objective Buprenorphine (BUP) is commonly used for opioid maintenance therapy in pregnancy. Our goal was to determine whether liver dysfunction related to hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection impacts BUP dosing requirements in pregnancy.
Study Design This was a retrospective cohort study of pregnant women with antenatal exposure to BUP to compare dosing between individuals positive versus negative for HCV infection. Spearman correlation tests were used to assess the relationship between BUP dose and HCV status.
Results HCV infection was present in 103 (39%) of the patients. Patients with HCV infection required lower dose increases of BUP throughout pregnancy (p = 0.02). HCV viral load was positively correlated with the liver enzymes aspartate transaminase (r = 0.30, p = 0.003) and alanine transaminase (r = 0.25, p = 0.01). There was a negative correlation between HCV viral load and BUP dose during the second trimester (r = −0.27, p = 0.01) and third trimester (r = −0.20, p = 0.04).
Conclusion Women with HCV infection required less of an increase in BUP dose throughout pregnancy compared with women without HCV infection. Severity of HCV infection, as measured by viral load and liver enzymes, was also associated with BUP dosing.
Findings presented as a poster presentation at SMFM's 39th Annual SMFM Annual Pregnancy Meeting (Abstract, 649).
- 1 ACOG. Opioid Use and Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy. Available at: https://www.acog.org/Clinical-Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Opioid-Use-and-Opioid-Use-Disorder-in-Pregnancy . Accessed August 9, 2018
- 2 Krans EE, Patrick SW. Opioid use disorder in pregnancy: health policy and practice in the midst of an epidemic. Obstet Gynecol 2016; 128 (01) 4-10
- 3 Haycraft AL. Pregnancy and the opioid epidemic. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 2018; 56 (03) 19-23
- 4 Kampman K, Jarvis M. American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) National Practice Guideline for the use of medications in the treatment of addiction involving opioid use. J Addict Med 2015; 9 (05) 358-367
- 5 Elkader A, Sproule B. Buprenorphine: clinical pharmacokinetics in the treatment of opioid dependence. Clin Pharmacokinet 2005; 44 (07) 661-680
- 6 Welsh C, Valadez-Meltzer A. Buprenorphine: a (relatively) new treatment for opioid dependence. Psychiatry (Edgmont Pa) 2005; 2 (12) 29-39
- 7 Novick DM, Kreek MJ. Critical issues in the treatment of hepatitis C virus infection in methadone maintenance patients. Addiction 2008; 103 (06) 905-918
- 8 Edlin BR. Prevention and treatment of hepatitis C in injection drug users. Hepatology 2002; 36 (05) (Suppl. 01) S210-S219
- 9 Hughes BL, Page CM, Kuller JA. ; Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM). Electronic address: email@example.com. Hepatitis C in pregnancy: screening, treatment, and management. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017; 217 (05) B2-B12
- 10 Morcos PN, Moreira SA, Brennan BJ, Blotner S, Shulman NS, Smith PF. Influence of chronic hepatitis C infection on cytochrome P450 3A4 activity using midazolam as an in vivo probe substrate. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2013; 69 (10) 1777-1784
- 11 McNicholas LF, Holbrook AM, O'Grady KE. , et al. Effect of hepatitis C virus status on liver enzymes in opioid-dependent pregnant women maintained on opioid-agonist medication. Addiction 2012; 107 (Suppl. 01) 91-97
- 12 Masson CL, Rainey PM, Moody DE, McCance-Katz EF. Effects of HCV seropositive status on buprenorphine pharmacokinetics in opioid-dependent individuals. Am J Addict 2014; 23 (01) 34-40
- 13 Nasser AF, Heidbreder C, Liu Y, Fudala PJ. Pharmacokinetics of sublingual buprenorphine and naloxone in subjects with mild to severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh Classes A, B, and C), in hepatitis C virus-seropositive subjects, and in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacokinet 2015; 54 (08) 837-849
- 14 Wesson DR, Ling W. The clinical opiate withdrawal scale (COWS). J Psychoactive Drugs 2003; 35 (02) 253-259
- 15 Harris PA, Taylor R, Thielke R, Payne J, Gonzalez N, Conde JG. Research electronic data capture (REDCap)--a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support. J Biomed Inform 2009; 42 (02) 377-381