Open Galeazzi's Fracture-Dislocation in a 13-Year-Old Boy: A Case Report
Background Galeazzi's fracture-dislocation (GFD) is a rare and complex injury consisting of a radial fracture associated with distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) dislocation.
Case Description We are presenting a case of a boy, who at the onset showed an open GFD and his assessment after a 1-year follow-up. As a treatment, closed reduction and long-arm cast were performed. At the last follow-up, the patient presented a complete recovery of range of motion and function of the affected wrist.
Literature Review To the best of our knowledge, in the current literature, there are no reported cases of open GFD.
Clinical Relevance Although open GFD is rare this case report may suggest orthopaedic surgeon how to approach and manage it.
Keywordsopen Galeazzi's fracture - open fracture dislocation - pediatric trauma - pediatric distal radioulnar joint lesion
The study was performed at IRCCS Istituto G. Gaslini, Genova, Italy.
Eingereicht: 09. März 2020
Angenommen: 13. April 2020
Artikel online veröffentlicht:
06. Juli 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Eberl R, Singer G, Schalamon J, Petnehazy T, Hoellwarth ME. Galeazzi lesions in children and adolescents: treatment and outcome. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2008; 466 (07) 1705-1709
- 2 Giannoulis FS, Sotereanos DG. Galeazzi fractures and dislocations. Hand Clin 2007; 23 (02) 153-163 , v
- 3 Walsh HP, McLaren CA, Owen R. Galeazzi fractures in children. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1987; 69 (05) 730-733
- 4 Schoenecker JG, Bae DS. Fractures of the distal radius and ulna. In: Flynn JM, Skaggs DL, Waters PM. eds. Rockwood and Wilkins' Fractures in Children. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014: 349-406
- 5 Letts M, Rowhani N. Galeazzi-equivalent injuries of the wrist in children. J Pediatr Orthop 1993; 13 (05) 561-566
- 6 Tsai PC, Paksima N. The distal radioulnar joint. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 2009; 67 (01) 90-96
- 7 Atesok KI, Jupiter JB, Weiss A-PC. Galeazzi fracture. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2011; 19 (10) 623-633
- 8 Dello Russo B, Miscione HF. Delayed diagnosis and management of injuries involving the distal radioulnar joint and distal ulna in the pediatric population: recognition and conduct. J Child Orthop 2009; 3 (06) 465-472
- 9 Slutsky DJ. Outcomes assessment in wrist surgery. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (01) 1-4
- 10 Cha SM, Shin HD, Jeon JH. Long-term results of Galeazzi-equivalent injuries in adolescents--open reduction and internal fixation of the ulna. J Pediatr Orthop B 2016; 25 (02) 174-182