Identification of Ulnar Artery Perforators Using Color Doppler Ultrasonography
Background The ulnar artery perforator (UAP) flap, which is hairless, thin, and pliable, has been used for the reconstruction of soft tissues from the finger to the elbow. Preoperative planning is essential for a perforator flap surgery, and there are some tests to identify perforators. Color Doppler ultrasonography (US) with a high-frequency transducer helps in detecting decreased flow in smaller vessels, such as perforators. The purpose of this study was to determine the anatomical locations and origins of perforators arising from the ulnar artery using color Doppler US in healthy volunteers.
Methods Forty forearms of 20 healthy volunteers were included in the study. Perforators arising from the ulnar artery, within 100 mm proximal to the pisiform, were investigated using color Doppler US with a high-frequency transducer.
Results A total of 205 perforators were identified. On comparing the locations in each 20 mm section from the pisiform, the largest number of perforators was 58 (28%), within 20 mm proximal to the pisiform. The axial view demonstrated 44 (21%), 64 (31%), 32 (16%), and 65 (32%) perforators in the radial, ulnar, superficial, and deep aspects of the ulnar artery, respectively. Fifty-two and 28 essential perforators were supplied by the UAPs arising from the superficial and ulnar aspect within 20 mm proximal to the pisiform and between 21 and 40 mm proximal to the pisiform, respectively, while elevating the UAP flap.
Conclusion This is the first study to assess the UAP using color Doppler US. Identification of UAP using color Doppler US can be used as a preoperative assessment for reliable elevation of a UAP flap.
Received: 11 February 2020
Accepted: 17 May 2020
24 June 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers
333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA.
- 1 Koshima I, Soeda S. Inferior epigastric artery skin flaps without rectus abdominis muscle. Br J Plast Surg 1989; 42 (06) 645-648
- 2 Saint-Cyr M, Schaverien MV, Rohrich RJ. Perforator flaps: history, controversies, physiology, anatomy, and use in reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 123 (04) 132e-145e
- 3 Debelmas A, Camuzard O, Aguilar P, Qassemyar Q. Reliability of color Doppler ultrasound imaging for the assessment of anterolateral thigh flap perforators: a prospective study of 30 perforators. Plast Reconstr Surg 2018; 141 (03) 762-766
- 4 Klasson S, Svensson K, Wollmer P, Velander P, Svensson H. Blood flow dynamics and sensitivity in breasts after reconstruction with DIEP-flap. J Plast Surg Hand Surg 2014; 48 (06) 407-411
- 5 Ono S, Chung KC, Hayashi H, Ogawa R, Takami Y, Hyakusoku H. Application of multidetector-row computed tomography in propeller flap planning. Plast Reconstr Surg 2011; 127 (02) 703-711
- 6 Versluis B, Tuinder S, Boetes C. , et al. Equilibrium-phase high spatial resolution contrast-enhanced MR angiography at 1.5T in preoperative imaging for perforator flap breast reconstruction. PLoS One 2013; 8 (08) e71286
- 7 Hallock GG, Brown CL, DeSantis MJ. Preoperative identification of perforating vessels to the skin by color duplex imaging. J Ultrasound Med 1995; 14 (04) 263-266
- 8 Onode E, Takamatsu K, Shintani K. , et al. Anatomical origins of radial artery perforators evaluated using color Doppler ultrasonography. J Reconstr Microsurg 2016; 32 (08) 594-598
- 9 Shintani K, Takamatsu K, Uemura T. , et al. Planning digital artery perforators using color Doppler ultrasonography: a preliminary report. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2016; 69 (05) 634-639
- 10 Becker C, Gilbert A. [The ulnar flap]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 1988; 20 (04) 180-183
- 11 Bertelli JA, Pagliei A. The neurocutaneous flap based on the dorsal branches of the ulnar artery and nerve: a new flap for extensive reconstruction of the hand. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998; 101 (06) 1537-1543
- 12 Liu J, Zheng H. Free distal ulnar artery perforator flaps for the reconstruction of a volar defect in fingers. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2014; 67 (11) 1557-1563
- 13 Yii NW, Niranjan NS. Fascial flaps based on perforators for reconstruction of defects in the distal forearm. Br J Plast Surg 1999; 52 (07) 534-540
- 14 Lovie MJ, Duncan GM, Glasson DW. The ulnar artery forearm free flap. Br J Plast Surg 1984; 37 (04) 486-492
- 15 Maruyama Y, Onishi K, Iwahira Y. The ulnar recurrent fasciocutaneous island flap: reverse medial arm flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 1987; 79 (03) 381-388
- 16 Blondeel PN, Hallock GG, Morris SF, Neligan PC. , eds. Perforator flaps: Anatomy, technique, & clinical applications. CRC Press; 2013: 367-385
- 17 Rand RP, Cramer MM, Strandness Jr DE. Color-flow duplex scanning in the preoperative assessment of TRAM flap perforators: a report of 32 consecutive patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 1994; 93 (03) 453-459
- 18 Kehrer A, Sachanadani NS, da Silva NPB. , et al. Step-by-step guide to ultrasound-based design of alt flaps by the microsurgeon - basic and advanced applications and device settings. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2019 S1748-6815(19)30536-4
- 19 Kehrer A, Heidekrueger PI, Lonic D. , et al. High-resolution ultrasound-guided perforator mapping and characterization by the microsurgeon in lower limb reconstruction. J Reconstr Microsurg 2020
- 20 Hwang K, Hwang JH, Jung CY, Won HS, Chung IH. Cutaneous perforators of the forearm: anatomic study for clinical application. Ann Plast Surg 2006; 56 (03) 284-288
- 21 Kimura T, Ebisudani S, Osugi I, Inagawa K. Anatomical analysis of cutaneous perforator distribution in the forearm. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2017; 5 (10) e1550
- 22 Mathy JA, Moaveni Z, Tan ST. Perforator anatomy of the ulnar forearm fasciocutaneous flap. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2012; 65 (08) 1076-1082
- 23 Sun C, Hou ZD, Wang B, Ding ZH. An anatomical study on the characteristics of cutaneous branches-chain perforator flap with ulnar artery pedicle. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 131 (02) 329-336
- 24 Wei Y, Shi X, Yu Y, Zhong G, Tang M, Mei J. Vascular anatomy and clinical application of the free proximal ulnar artery perforator flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2014; 2 (07) e179
- 25 Yu P, Chang EI, Selber JC, Hanasono MM. Perforator patterns of the ulnar artery perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2012; 129 (01) 213-220
- 26 Vergara-Amador E. Anatomical study of the ulnar dorsal artery and design of a new retrograde ulnar dorsal flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008; 121 (05) 1716-1724