Subscribe to RSS
Giant Right Atrial Myxoma with Fulminant Progression in an InfantFunding None.
Cardiac myxoma is rare in children. Myxomas are exceedingly rare in infancy. Right atrial myxomas were recorded in a small number of case reports involving infants worldwide. We report the case of a 2-month-old infant with giant right atrial myxoma. The case presented to our hospital with respiratory distress, and had pericardial and pleural effusion. Diagnosis of cardiac tumor was made with the aid of computerized tomography scan and echocardiogram. The tumor size was 3.1 × 3.4 × 3.9 cm. The patient worsened rapidly and had sudden cardiac arrest which did not respond to interventions. Postmortem cardiac autopsy confirmed the diagnosis of myxoma on gross examination and histology. This article aims to focus attention to the atypical size and location of this atrial myxoma, causing diagnostic difficulty in this infant.
Consent for Publication
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient's family for his anonymized information to be published in this article.
Received: 08 March 2020
Accepted: 02 July 2020
Article published online:
31 August 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Uzun O, Wilson DG, Vujanic GM, Parsons JM, De Giovanni JV. Cardiac tumours in children. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2007; 2: 11-11
- 2 Holley DG, Martin GR, Brenner JI. et al. Diagnosis and management of fetal cardiac tumors: a multicenter experience and review of published reports. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 26 (02) 516-520
- 3 Becker AE. Primary heart tumors in the pediatric age group: a review of salient pathologic features relevant for clinicians. Pediatr Cardiol 2000; 21 (04) 317-323
- 4 Basso C, Valente M, Poletti A, Casarotto D, Thiene G. Surgical pathology of primary cardiac and pericardial tumors. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1997; 12 (05) 730-737 , discussion 737–738
- 5 Reynen K. Cardiac myxomas. N Engl J Med 1995; 333 (24) 1610-1617
- 6 Burke A, Tavora F. The 2015 who classification of tumors of the heart and pericardium. J Thorac Oncol 2016; 11 (04) 441-452
- 7 Myers KA, Wong KK, Tipple M, Sanatani S. Benign cardiac tumours, malignant arrhythmias. Can J Cardiol 2010; 26 (02) e58-e61
- 8 Wu Y, Fu XM, liao XB, Zhou X. Stroke and peripheral embolisms in a pediatric patient with giant atrial myxoma: case report and review of current literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 2018; 97 (30) e11653
- 9 Vuran C, Babaoglu K, Ozker E. et al. Giant right atrial myxoma leading to cardiac arrest in an infant. Cardiovasc J Afr 2012; 23 (01) e13-e15
- 10 Jayaprakash S. Clinical presentations, diagnosis, and management of arrhythmias associated with cardiac tumors. J Arrhythm 2018; 34 (04) 384-393
- 11 Paşaoğlu I, Demircin M, Ozkutlu S, Bozer AY. Right atrial myxoma in an infant. Jpn Heart J 1991; 32 (02) 263-266
- 12 Kwiatkowska J, Wałdoch A, Meyer-Szary J, Potaż P, Grzybiak M. Cardiac tumors in children: a 20-year review of clinical presentation, diagnostics and treatment. Adv Clin Exp Med 2017; 26 (02) 319-326
- 13 Shi l, Wu l, Fang H. et al. Identification and clinical course of 166 pediatric cardiac tumors. Eur J Pediatr 2017; 176 (02) 253-260
- 14 Nguyen TC, Carcillo JA. Bench-to-bedside review: thrombocytopenia-associated multiple organ failure--a newly appreciated syndrome in the critically ill. Crit Care 2006; 10 (06) 235