Subscribe to RSS
Restricted Wrist Rotation after an Ulnar Head Fracture: A Report of Two Cases
Background Isolated ulnar head fracture is a rare entity, and the restriction of range of motion in the wrist is rarely reported.
Case Description We report two cases of conservatively treated ulnar head malunion with restricted supination and pronation. The increased tension of the volar portion of the triangular fibrocartilage complex was observed, and the surgical treatment significantly improved the range of motion.
Literature Review There are a few reports on isolated ulnar head fracture. Other causes of restricted supination and pronation of the wrist are mostly due to the interposition of soft tissues or loose bodies.
Clinical Relevance Malunion after ulnar head fracture can cause restriction of wrist supination and pronation. Surgical intervention may be considered if restricted range of motion remains after conservative treatment.
The work was performed at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine.
Received: 12 June 2020
Accepted: 11 August 2020
Article published online:
16 October 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Goikoetxea X, Garmilla I, Etxebarria I, Careaga M. Isolated intra-articular fracture of the distal ulna: a rare injury related to airbag deployment. J Orthop Trauma 2006; 20 (04) 292-294
- 2 Jakab E, Ganos DL, Gagnon S. Isolated intra-articular fracture of the ulnar head. J Orthop Trauma 1993; 7 (03) 290-292
- 3 Solan MC, Rees R, Molloy S, Proctor MT. Internal fixation after intra-articular fracture of the distal ulna. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2003; 85 (02) 279-280
- 4 Araki S, Kachi S, Mishima S. Locking of the forearm in pronation due to extensor carpi ulnaris tendon dislocation with dorsal distal ulna dislocation. J Hand Surg Am 1994; 19 (03) 402-404
- 5 Ono H, Yajima H, Fukui A, Tamai S. Locking wrist with synovial chondromatosis: report of two cases. J Hand Surg Am 1994; 19 (05) 797-799
- 6 Takahashi Y, Nakamura T, Sato K, Toyama Y. Subluxation of the palmar radioulnar ligament as a cause of blocked forearm supination: a case of DRUJ Locking. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (01) 83-86
- 7 Nakamura T, Makita A. The proximal ligamentous component of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. J Hand Surg [Br] 2000; 25 (05) 479-486