Subscribe to RSS
Tricortical Bone Grafting with Limited Midcarpal and Carpometacarpal Fusion for the Treatment of Giant Cell Tumor of the Capitate
Background Giant cell tumor (GCT) of capitate is a rare lesion that is challenging to treat.
Case Description We present a case of a 12-year-old girl suffering from a GCT of the capitate. Wide excision combined with adjuvant treatment including hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, tricortical bone grafting, and limited midcarpal and carpometacarpal fusion achieved good functional result without evidence of tumor recurrence or radiocarpal degeneration at 8 years postoperatively.
Clinical Relevance In this case with long-term follow-up, surgical treatment of capitate GCT with limited midcarpal and carpometacarpal fusion led to a satisfactory outcome despite the alteration of wrist kinematics.
Keywordsgiant cell tumor - capitate - midcarpal fusion - carpometacarpal fusion - tricortical bone grafting
The authors confirm that informed consent of the patient is taken for the publication of this case report.
B.E.C. prepared and submitted the article. C.G.D. participated in the design of the manuscript. P.K.G. critically revised the manuscript.
Received: 09 May 2020
Accepted: 24 August 2020
Article published online:
04 November 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Schmidt I. An unusual and complicated course of a giant cell tumor of the capitate bone. Case Rep Orthop 2016; 2016: 3705808
- 2 Bokemper MK, Araiza ET, Templeton KJ, Fox TJ. Third-ray and capitate resection with limited midcarpal fusion for recurrent giant cell tumor: a case report. JBJS Case Connect 2018; 8 (01) e15
- 3 Afshar A, Tabrizi A, Aidenlou A, Abbasi A. Giant cell tumor of the capitate bone. J Hand Microsurg 2018; 10 (03) 158-161
- 4 Narayana Gowda BS, Mohan Kumar J. Giant cell tumor (GCT) of capitate. J Orthop Case Rep 2012; 2 (01) 21-23
- 5 Oufkir AA, Lazerges C, Coulet B, Chammas M. Giant cell tumor of the capitate treated with excision and midcarpal fusion. J Wrist Surg 2017; 6 (03) 238-243
- 6 McDonald DJ, Schajowicz F. Giant cell tumor of the capitate. A case report. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1992; (279) 264-268