Arthroscopic Resection of Wrist Volar Synovial Cyst: Technique Description and Case Series
Background Arthroscopy nowadays has become a widespread technique for the treatment of orthopaedic pathologies. Small-joint arthroscopy has evolved and, through direct visualization, enables diagnosis and immediate treatment of intra-articular lesions. The arthroscopic resection has become a minimally invasive alternative for the open technique. We intend to describe the technique, literature review, and results of arthroscopy for the surgical treatment of wrist volar synovial cysts.
Methods Thirty-nine patients submitted to arthroscopy for the treatment of wrist volar synovial cyst were included and assessed in this study, during the period of January 2015 to May 2017 with a complete assessment in minimum follow-up of 6 months. The technique was indicated for patients with pain and functional impairment for longer than 4 months, with no improvement with conservative measures, or for patients with cosmetic complaints, or those who presented the cyst for more than 3 months.
Results We demonstrated good outcomes in regard to pain, range of motion, and complications in arthroscopic resection of volar wrist ganglion.
Conclusion Arthroscopic resection of volar synovial is a useful and safe technique. It is a low-morbidity, minimally invasive procedure that carries few complications and is a good alternative to the open technique.
Eingereicht: 22. April 2020
Angenommen: 28. Oktober 2020
Artikel online veröffentlicht:
03. Januar 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Rocchi L, Canal A, Fanfani F, Catalano F. Articular ganglia of the volar aspect of the wrist: arthroscopic resection compared with open excision. A prospective randomised study. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2008; 42 (05) 253-259
- 2 Ho PC, Law B-KY, Hung LK. [Arthroscopic volar wrist ganglionectomy] (in French]. Chir Main 2006; 25 (Suppl. 01) S221-S230
- 3 Zaidenberg CR, Clembosky GA, Perrotto CJ, Muratore AJ. Resección artroscópica de los gangliones palmares del borde radial de la muñeca. Rev Argent Artosc 2003; 10: 13-17
- 4 Mathoulin C, Hoyos A, Pelaez J. Arthroscopic resection of wrist ganglia. Hand Surg 2004; 9 (02) 159-164
- 5 Pang EQ, Zhang S, Harris AHS, Kamal RN. Cost minimization analysis of ganglion cyst excision. J Hand Surg Am 2017; 42 (09) 750.e1-750.e4
- 6 Monaghan BA. Uses and abuses of wrist arthroscopy. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2006; 10 (01) 37-42
- 7 Osterman AL, Raphael J. Arthroscopic resection of dorsal ganglion of the wrist. Hand Clin 1995; 11 (01) 7-12
- 8 Ho PC, Lo WN, Hung LK. Arthroscopic resection of volar ganglion of the wrist: A new technique. Arthroscopy 2003; 19 (02) 218-221
- 9 Rocchi L, Canal A, Pelaez J, Fanfani F, Catalano F. Results and complications in dorsal and volar wrist ganglia arthroscopic resection. Hand Surg 2006; 11 (1-2): 21-26
- 10 Yamamoto M, Kurimoto S, Okui N, Tatebe M, Shinohara T, Hirata H. Sonography-assisted arthroscopic resection of volar wrist Ganglia: a new technique. Arthrosc Tech 2012; 1 (01) e31-e35
- 11 Fernandes CH, Miranda CD, Dos Santos JB, Faloppa F. A systematic review of complications and recurrence rate of arthroscopic resection of volar wrist ganglion. Hand Surg 2014; 19 (03) 475-480
- 12 Sawyer GA, DaSilva MF, Akelman E. Volar wrist ganglion excision through the flexor carpi radialis sheath. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2012; 16 (03) 145-147
- 13 Yao J, Trindade MC. Color-aided visualization of dorsal wrist ganglion stalks aids in complete arthroscopic excision. Arthroscopy 2011; 27 (03) 425-429
- 14 Chung SR, Tay SC. Audit of clinical and functional outcomes of arthroscopic resection of wrist ganglions. Hand Surg 2015; 20 (03) 415-420
- 15 Pardini Jr AP, Freitas AD, Gusmão Filho NS. História natural do quisto sinovial do dorso do punho. Rev Bras Ortop 1998;33(03):
- 16 Mathoulin C, Gras M. Arthroscopic management of dorsal and volar wrist ganglion. Hand Clin 2017; 33 (04) 769-777
- 17 Ahsan ZS, Yao J. Arthroscopic dorsal wrist ganglion excision with color-aided visualization of the stalk: minimum 1-year follow-up. Hand (N Y) 2014; 9 (02) 205-208
- 18 Oliveira RK, Praetzel RP, Bayer LR, Delgado PJ. Artroscopia e osteotomia extensora do primeiro metacarpo para tratamento da rizartrose nos estágios iniciais. Rev Bras Ortop 2016; 51 (Suppl. 01) S24-S31
- 19 Chloros GD, Wiesler ER, Poehling GG. Current concepts in wrist arthroscopy. Arthroscopy 2008; 24 (03) 343-354
- 20 Atzei A, Luchetti R, Sgarbossa A, Carità E, Llusà M. [Set-up, portals and normal exploration in wrist arthroscopy] (in French). Chir Main 2006; 25 (Suppl. 01) S131-S144
- 21 Ahsan ZS, Yao J. Complications of wrist arthroscopy. Arthroscopy 2012; 28 (06) 855-859
- 22 Chen ACY, Lee WC, Hsu KY, Chan YS, Yuan LJ, Chang CH. Arthroscopic ganglionectomy through an intrafocal cystic portal for wrist ganglia. Arthroscopy 2010; 26 (05) 617-622