Subscribe to RSS
A Bony Mallet Thumb with Interposition of the Nail Plate
Thumb extensor injuries and bony avulsion in the distal phalanx of the thumb are rare compared with other fingers. The most reported complications are infection, nail deformity, joint incongruity, implant failure, recurrent flexion deformity, and residual pain. This report presents a case of 30-year-old man suffering from an injury in the left thumb distal phalanx with a displaced comminuted intra-articular fracture of the distal phalanx of the left thumb. The nail plate was interposed between the dorsal and palmar fragments. The interposition of the nail plate in the bony mallet thumb has not been described before. Surgical treatment and fixation with a 2-mm miniscrew resulted in successful treatment. Clinical suspicion of this complication is of great importance and can affect treatment outcomes.
The study was approved by the Ethics Committee of Urmia University of Medical Sciences.
Received: 13 October 2019
Accepted: 09 September 2020
01 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Salazar Botero S, Hidalgo Diaz JJ, Benaïda A, Collon S, Facca S, Liverneaux PA. Review of acute traumatic closed mallet finger injuries in adults. Arch Plast Surg 2016; 43 (02) 134-144
- 2 Bazavar M, Rouhani A, Tabrizi A. Simultaneous dorsal base fracture and FDP avulsion of distal phalanx of the little finger. Arch Bone Jt Surg 2014; 2 (01) 63-65
- 3 Oflazoglu K, Moradi A, Braun Y, Ring D, Chen NC, Eberlin KR. Mallet fractures of the thumb compared with mallet fractures of the fingers. Hand (N Y) 2017; 12 (03) 277-282
- 4 Mifune Y, Inui A, Takase F. et al. Two extension block Kirschner wires' technique for bony mallet thumb. Case Rep Orthop 2016; 2016: 8086594
- 5 Al-Qattan MM. Type 5 avulsion of the insertion of the flexor digitorum profundus tendon. J Hand Surg [Br] 2001; 26 (05) 427-431
- 6 Afshar A. Comminuted fracture of distal phalanx complicated by flexor digitorum avulsion. Inj Extra 2006; 37 (02) 76-77
- 7 Nishimura R, Matsuura S, Miyawaki T, Uchida M. Bony mallet thumb. Hand Surg 2013; 18 (01) 107-109
- 8 Norrie BA, Jebson PJ. Mallet thumb. J Hand Surg Am 2013; 38 (06) 1219-1221 , quiz 1222
- 9 Vester H, Schul L, von Matthey F, Beirer M, van Griensven M, Deiler S. Patient satisfaction after hook plate treatment of bony avulsion fracture of the distal phalanges. Eur J Med Res 2018; 23 (01) 35