Subscribe to RSS
Should We Repair the Pronator Quadratus in a Distal Radius Fracture with an Ulnar Styloid Base Fracture? A Biomechanical StudyFunding None.
Background Merits of repairing the pronator quadratus (PQ) to restore distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) stability after a volar approach remain controversial. Distal radius fractures are often associated with ulnar styloid fractures (USF). When involving the fovea, this USF can lead to a DRUJ instability. The PQ repair may be key in reducing this DRUJ instability.
Methods This study aims to assess the biomechanical role of PQ repair in a cadaveric model of USF. In 17 forearm specimens, a USF including the fovea was executed. Positional changes of the DRUJ in forearm rotation and dorso-palmar (DP) translation were measured with variable loads (0, 2.5, and 5N) applied to the PQ origin.
Results Forearm rotation and DP-translation decreased significantly with PQ loading of 5N, changing on average by 5 degrees and 0.6 mm, respectively.
Conclusion We found a significant decrease in forearm rotation and DP-translation comparing a fully loaded PQ to an unloaded PQ in our cadaveric model.
Keywordsdistal radio-ulnar joint - distal radio-ulnar ligaments - distal radius fracture - pronator quadrates - ulnar styloid fracture
Received: 29 September 2020
Accepted: 13 April 2021
Article published online:
21 June 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Protopsaltis TS, Ruch DS. Volar approach to distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (06) 958-965
- 2 Schneppendahl J, Windolf J, Kaufmann RA. Distal radius fractures: current concepts. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (08) 1718-1725
- 3 Cannon TA, Carlston CV, Stevanovic MV, Ghiassi AD. Pronator-sparing technique for volar plating of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (12) 2506-2511
- 4 Itoh S, Yumoto M, Kanai M, Yoshida W, Yoshioka T. Significance of a pronator quadratus-sparing approach for volar locking plate fixation of comminuted intra-articular fractures of the distal radius. Hand (N Y) 2016; 11 (01) 83-87
- 5 Sen MK, Strauss N, Harvey EJ. Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis of distal radius fractures using a pronator sparing approach. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2008; 12 (01) 2-6
- 6 Tosti R, Ilyas AM. Prospective evaluation of pronator quadratus repair following volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2013; 38 (09) 1678-1684
- 7 Hershman SH, Immerman I, Bechtel C, Lekic N, Paksima N, Egol KA. The effects of pronator quadratus repair on outcomes after volar plating of distal radius fractures. J Orthop Trauma 2013; 27 (03) 130-133
- 8 Mulders MAM, Walenkamp MMJ, Bos FJME, Schep NWL, Goslings JC. Repair of the pronator quadratus after volar plate fixation in distal radius fractures: a systematic review. Strateg Trauma Limb Reconstr 2017; 12 (03) 181-188
- 9 Ahsan ZS, Yao J. The importance of pronator quadratus repair in the treatment of distal radius fractures with volar plating. Hand (N Y) 2012; 7 (03) 276-280
- 10 Chirpaz-Cerbat JM, Ruatti S, Houillon C, Ionescu S. Dorsally displaced distal radius fractures treated by fixed-angle volar plating: Grip and pronosupination strength recovery: a prospective study. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2011; 97 (05) 465-470
- 11 Häberle S, Sandmann GH, Deiler S. et al. Pronator quadratus repair after volar plating of distal radius fractures or not? Results of a prospective randomized trial. Eur J Med Res 2015; 20: 93
- 12 Hinds RM, Gottschalk MB, Capo JT. The pronator quadratus and distal anterior interosseous nerve: a cadaveric study. J Wrist Surg 2015; 4 (03) 183-187
- 13 Stuart PR. Pronator quadratus revisited. J Hand Surg [Br] 1996; 21 (06) 714-722
- 14 Swigart CR, Badon MA, Bruegel VL, Dodds SD. Assessment of pronator quadratus repair integrity following volar plate fixation for distal radius fractures: a prospective clinical cohort study. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (09) 1868-1873
- 15 Stoffelen D, De Smet L, Broos P. The importance of the distal radioulnar joint in distal radial fractures. J Hand Surg [Br] 1998; 23 (04) 507-511
- 16 May MM, Lawton JN, Blazar PE. Ulnar styloid fractures associated with distal radius fractures: incidence and implications for distal radioulnar joint instability. J Hand Surg Am 2002; 27 (06) 965-971
- 17 Baradaran A, Moradi A, Sadeghi R, Ebrahimzadeh MH. Do we underestimate the predictive value of the ulnar styloid involvement in distal radius fractures? A systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical studies. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2017; 42 (06) 642-645
- 18 Wysocki RW, Ruch DS. Ulnar styloid fracture with distal radius fracture. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (03) 568-569
- 19 Buijze GA, Ring D. Clinical impact of United versus nonunited fractures of the proximal half of the ulnar styloid following volar plate fixation of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2010; 35 (02) 223-227
- 20 Kim JK, Koh YD, Do NH. Should an ulnar styloid fracture be fixed following volar plate fixation of a distal radial fracture?. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92 (01) 1-6
- 21 Maniglio M, Park IJ, Zumstein M, Kuenzler M, McGarry M, Lee TQ. The critical size of ulnar Styloid Fragment for the DRUJ Stability. J Wrist Surg 2021; DOI: 10.1055/s-0041-1726309.
- 22 Tolat AR, Stanley JK, Trail IA. A cadaveric study of the anatomy and stability of the distal radioulnar joint in the coronal and transverse planes. J Hand Surg [Br] 1996; 21 (05) 587-594
- 23 Fan J, Chen K, Zhu H. et al. Effect of fixing distal radius fracture with volar locking palmar plates while preserving pronator quadratus. Chin Med J (Engl) 2014; 127 (16) 2929-2933
- 24 Huh JK, Lim JY, Song CH, Baek GH, Lee YH, Gong HS. Isokinetic evaluation of pronation after volar plating of a distal radius fracture. Injury 2012; 43 (02) 200-204
- 25 Koebke J, Werner J, Piening H. [The quadrate pronator muscle--a morphological and functional analysis]. Anat Anz 1984; 157 (04) 311-318
- 26 Gordon KD, Pardo RD, Johnson JA, King GJ, Miller TA. Electromyographic activity and strength during maximum isometric pronation and supination efforts in healthy adults. J Orthop Res 2004; 22 (01) 208-213
- 27 Brown EN, Lifchez SD. Flexor pollicis longus tendon rupture after volar plating of a distal radius fracture: pronator quadratus plate coverage may not adequately protect tendons. Eplasty 2011; 11: e43
- 28 Haugstvedt JR, Langer MF, Berger RA. Distal radioulnar joint: functional anatomy, including pathomechanics. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2017; 42 (04) 338-345
- 29 McConkey MO, Schwab TD, Travlos A, Oxland TR, Goetz T. Quantification of pronator quadratus contribution to isometric pronation torque of the forearm. J Hand Surg Am 2009; 34 (09) 1612-1617
- 30 Armangil M, Bezirgan U, Başarır K, Bilen G, Demirtaş M, Bilgin SS. The pronator quadratus muscle after plating of distal radius fractures: is the muscle still working?. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2014; 24 (03) 335-339
- 31 Nho JH, Gong HS, Song CH, Wi SM, Lee YH, Baek GH. Examination of the pronator quadratus muscle during hardware removal procedures after volar plating for distal radius fractures. Clin Orthop Surg 2014; 6 (03) 267-272
- 32 Lo HY, Cheng HY. Clinical study of the pronator quadratus muscle: anatomical features and feasibility of pronator-sparing surgery. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2014; 15: 136
- 33 Rey PB, Rochet S, Loisel F, Obert L. Technical note: how to spare the pronator quadratus during MIPO of distal radius fractures by using a mini-volar plate. Chir Main 2014; 33 (02) 95-99
- 34 Zenke Y, Sakai A, Oshige T. et al. Clinical results of volar locking plate for distal radius fractures: conventional versus minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis. J Orthop Trauma 2011; 25 (07) 425-431