Subscribe to RSS
Arthroscopically Assisted Eaton–Littler Trapeziometacarpal Ligamentoplasty
Background Eaton–Littler ligamentoplasty has proven its efficacy in the treatment of trapeziometacarpal (TMC) instability.
Description of Technique In this article, we describe the arthroscopically assisted Eaton–Littler ligamentoplasty through two clinical cases.
Patients and Methods Arthroscopy is used to accurately place the metacarpal bone tunnel and pass the slip of flexor carpi radialis tendon in the latter. This procedure avoids soft-tissue dissection and could improve the outcome of this well-known surgery.
Results The two clinical cases showed good short-term outcome with a decrease of pain and good function.
Conclusions Arthroscopy to assist Eaton–Littler TMC ligamentoplasty is technically feasible, allowing a less invasive surgery. A larger prospective controlled study with a longer term outcome is mandatory to assess the real advantages of this modified procedure.
Keywordsarthroscopy - Eaton–Littler ligamentoplasty - instability - osteo-arthrosis - trapeziometacarpal joint
The work was performed at the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, ULB Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium.
Received: 05 August 2020
Accepted: 16 May 2021
Article published online:
05 July 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Bettinger PC, Linscheid RL, Berger RA, Cooney III WP, An KN. An anatomic study of the stabilizing ligaments of the trapezium and trapeziometacarpal joint. J Hand Surg Am 1999; 24 (04) 786-798
- 2 Pellegrini Jr VD, Olcott CW, Hollenberg G. Contact patterns in the trapeziometacarpal joint: the role of the palmar beak ligament. J Hand Surg Am 1993; 18 (02) 238-244
- 3 Esplugas M, Lluch-Bergada A, Mobargha N, Llusa-Perez M, Hagert E, Garcia-Elias M. Trapeziometacarpal ligaments biomechanical study: implications in arthroscopy. J Wrist Surg 2016; 5 (04) 277-283
- 4 Eaton RG, Littler JW. Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1973; 55 (08) 1655-1666
- 5 Eaton RG, Lane LB, Littler JW, Keyser JJ. Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint: a long-term assessment. J Hand Surg Am 1984; 9 (05) 692-699
- 6 Lane LB, Henley DH. Ligament reconstruction of the painful, unstable, nonarthritic thumb carpometacarpal joint. J Hand Surg Am 2001; 26 (04) 686-691
- 7 Lane LB, Eaton RG. Ligament reconstruction for the painful “prearthritic” thumb carpometacarpal joint. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1987; (220) 52-57
- 8 Pellegrini Jr VD. Osteoarthritis at the base of the thumb. Orthop Clin North Am 1992; 23 (01) 83-102
- 9 McCann MR, Rust PA, Wallace R. The stabilising effect of the anterior oblique ligament to prevent directional subluxation of the trapeziometacarpal joint of the thumb: a biomechanical cadaveric study. Arch Bone Jt Surg 2018; 6 (02) 105-111
- 10 Simonian PT, Trumble TE. Traumatic dislocation of the thumb carpometacarpal joint: early ligamentous reconstruction versus closed reduction and pinning. J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21 (05) 802-806
- 11 Brunelli G, Monini L, Brunelli F. Stabilisation of the trapezio-metacarpal joint. J Hand Surg [Br] 1989; 14 (02) 209-212
- 12 Van Giffen N, Van Ransbeeck H, De Smet L. Stabilization of the pre-arthritic trapeziometacarpal joint using ligament reconstruction. Chir Main 2002; 21 (05) 277-281
- 13 Wilkens SC, Bargon CA, Mohamadi A, Chen NC, Coert JH. A systematic review and meta-analysis of arthroscopic assisted techniques for thumb carpometacarpal joint osteoarthritis. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2018; 43 (10) 1098-1105
- 14 Menon J. Arthroscopic management of trapeziometacarpal joint arthritis of the thumb. Arthroscopy 1996; 12 (05) 581-587
- 15 Logli AL, Twu J, Bear BJ, Lindquist JR, Schoenfeldt TL, Korcek KJ. Arthroscopic partial trapeziectomy with soft tissue interposition for symptomatic trapeziometacarpal arthritis: 6-month and 5-year minimum follow-up. J Hand Surg Am 2018; 43 (04) 384.e1-384.e7
- 16 Slutsky DJ. The role of arthroscopy in trapeziometacarpal arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014; 472 (04) 1173-1183
- 17 Yousef MA, Pegoli L. Arthroscopic-assisted arthrodesis of the trapeziometacarpal joint. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2013; 17 (02) 116-119
- 18 Zhang AY, Van Nortwick S, Hagert E, Yao J, Ladd AL. Thumb carpometacarpal ligaments inside and out: a comparative study of arthroscopic and gross anatomy from the robert a. Chase hand and upper limb center at stanford university. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (01) 55-62
- 19 Perry D, Stewart N, Benton N. et al. Detection of erosions in the rheumatoid hand; a comparative study of multidetector computerized tomography versus magnetic resonance scanning. J Rheumatol 2005; 32 (02) 256-267
- 20 Martini K, Becker AS, Guggenberger R, Andreisek G, Frauenfelder T. Value of tomosynthesis for lesion evaluation of small joints in osteoarthritic hands using the OARSI score. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2016; 24 (07) 1167-1171