Subscribe to RSS
Predictive Ability of the New Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Definition on Pulmonary Outcomes at 20 to 24 months' Corrected Age of Preterm InfantsFunding None.
Objective This study aimed to determine the predictive abilities of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) 2018 definition of bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) on mortality and pulmonary outcomes of preterm infants at 20 to 24 months' corrected age and compare them with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) 2001 definition.
Study Design A retrospective cohort study was conducted in a level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in Bangkok, Thailand. Data from 502 infants less than 32 weeks of gestation born between 2011 and 2017 were reviewed. Follow-up data were available in 460 infants (91.6%). BPD severity was graded according to the NICHD 2018 and the NIH 2001 definitions. Infants' mortality and pulmonary outcomes were compared between these two definitions.
Results The prevalence of BPD by the NIH 2001 and NICHD 2018 definition were 52.4 and 23.9%, respectively. Using the NIH 2001 definition, the severity of BPD could not be classified in 4.2% of the infants. Progressive severity of BPD by the NICHD 2018 definition was associated with higher incidence of pulmonary morbidities. By using area under the curve (AUC), the accuracy of NICHD 2018 definition in predicting death due to respiratory diseases and home oxygen therapy were significantly higher than those using NIH 2001 definition (0.884 vs. 0.740 [p <0.001] and 0.893 vs. 0.746 [p <0.001], respectively).
Conclusion The NICHD 2018 definition of BPD categorized fewer preterm infants with BPD in our cohort of preterm infants. This current definition has better predictive ability on mortality and pulmonary morbidities than the NIH 2001 definition.
The NICHD 2018 BPD definition has not been validated for predicting long-term pulmonary outcomes.
The NICHD 2018 definition categorized fewer preterm infants with BPD in our cohort of preterm.
The NICHD 2018 definition adequately predicted mortality and morbidities of preterm infants.
Received: 08 March 2021
Accepted: 12 July 2021
07 September 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Stoll BJ, Hansen NI, Bell EF. et al; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Trends in care practices, morbidity, and mortality of extremely preterm neonates, 1993–2012. JAMA 2015; 314 (10) 1039-1051
- 2 Doyle LW, Anderson PJ. Long-term outcomes of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2009; 14 (06) 391-395
- 3 Bhandari A, Panitch HB. Pulmonary outcomes in bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol 2006; 30 (04) 219-226
- 4 Keller RL, Feng R, DeMauro SB. et al; Prematurity and Respiratory Outcomes Program. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia and perinatal characteristics predict 1-year respiratory outcomes in newborns born at extremely low gestational age: a prospective cohort study. J Pediatr 2017; 187: 89-97.e3
- 5 Vom Hove M, Prenzel F, Uhlig HH, Robel-Tillig E. Pulmonary outcome in former preterm, very low birth weight children with bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a case-control follow-up at school age. J Pediatr 2014; 164 (01) 40-45.e4
- 6 Tan S, Szatkowski L, Moreton W. et al. Early childhood respiratory morbidity and antibiotic use in ex-preterm infants: a primary care population-based cohort study. Eur Respir J 2020; 56 (01) 2000202
- 7 Poindexter BB, Martin CR. Impact of nutrition on bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Clin Perinatol 2015; 42 (04) 797-806
- 8 Northway Jr WH, Rosan RC, Porter DY. Pulmonary disease following respirator therapy of hyaline-membrane disease. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. N Engl J Med 1967; 276 (07) 357-368
- 9 Davis PG, Thorpe K, Roberts R, Schmidt B, Doyle LW, Kirpalani H. Trial Indomethacin Prophylaxis in Preterms Investigators. Evaluating “old” definitions for the “new” bronchopulmonary dysplasia. J Pediatr 2002; 140 (05) 555-560
- 10 Bancalari E, Abdenour GE, Feller R, Gannon J. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia: clinical presentation. J Pediatr 1979; 95 (5 Pt 2): 819-823
- 11 Tooley WH. Epidemiology of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. J Pediatr 1979; 95 (5 Pt 2): 851-858
- 12 Shennan AT, Dunn MS, Ohlsson A, Lennox K, Hoskins EM. Abnormal pulmonary outcomes in premature infants: prediction from oxygen requirement in the neonatal period. Pediatrics 1988; 82 (04) 527-532
- 13 Jobe AH, Bancalari E. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163 (07) 1723-1729
- 14 Ehrenkranz RA, Walsh MC, Vohr BR. et al; National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Validation of the National Institutes of Health consensus definition of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatrics 2005; 116 (06) 1353-1360
- 15 Gomez Pomar E, Concina VA, Samide A, Westgate PM, Bada HS. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia: comparison between the two most diagnostic criteria. Front Pediatr 2018; 6: 397-402
- 16 Jobe AH, Steinhorn R. Can we define bronchopulmonary dysplasia. J Pediatr 2017; 188: 19-23
- 17 Jobe AH, Bancalari EH. Controversies about the definition of bronchopulmonary dysplasia at 50 years. Acta Paediatr 2017; 106 (05) 692-693
- 18 Poindexter BB, Feng R, Schmidt B. et al; Prematurity and Respiratory Outcomes Program. Comparison and limitations of current definitions of bronchopulmonary dysplasia for the prematurity and respiratory outcomes program. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015; 12 (12) 1822-1830
- 19 Bancalari E, Jain D. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia: can we agree on a definition. Am J Perinatol 2018; 35 (06) 537-540
- 20 Ibrahim J, Bhandari V. The definition of bronchopulmonary dysplasia: an evolving dilemma. Pediatr Res 2018; 84 (05) 586-588
- 21 Higgins RD, Jobe AH, Koso-Thomas M. et al. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia: executive summary of a workshop. J Pediatr 2018; 197: 300-308
- 22 Jensen EA, Dysart K, Gantz MG. et al. The diagnosis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in very preterm infants an evidence-based approach. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2019; 200 (06) 751-759