Subscribe to RSS
Large Cyst of Skene Gland: A Rare Perineum MassFunding The present study received no funding.
Objective In this report we present a rare case of a large cyst of Skene gland in a female patient with a palpable vaginal mass persisting for at least 2 years.
Case Report A 67-year-old female admitted to the department of urology due to the presence of “a vaginal mass” for the past 2 years. A cyst of Skene's duct was suspected based on clinical manifestation and findings of magnetic resonance imaging showing an extensive cyst formation in the upper vaginal area and anterior to the urethra. Based on these findings, a decision for surgical removement of the cyst was made. The cyst was incised, drained, and marsupialized. The postoperative recovery was uneventful, and the patient was discharged on the second postoperative day.
Conclusion High clinical suspicion is important to reach this rare diagnosis. Partial excision and marsupialization of the cyst is a simple procedure with low morbidity, without recurrence, and excellent results.
Patient's Informed Consent
The patient has signed an informed consent for publication.
Received: 09 February 2023
Accepted: 12 April 2023
Article published online:
14 May 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Zaviacic M, Ablin RJ. The female prostate and prostate-specific antigen. Immunohistochemical localization, implications of this prostate marker in women and reasons for using the term “prostate” in the human female. (Review) Histol Histopathol 2000; 15 (01) 131-142
- 2 Rodriguez FD, Camacho A, Bordes SJ, Gardner B, Levin RJ, Tubbs RS. Female ejaculation: an update on anatomy, history, and controversies. (Review) Clin Anat 2021; 34 (01) 103-107
- 3 Pastor Z, Chmel R. Differential diagnostics of female “sexual” fluids: a narrative review. (Review) Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2018; 29 (05) 621-629
- 4 O'Connell HE, Hutson JM, Anderson CR, Plenter RJ. Anatomical relationship between urethra and clitoris. J Urol 1998; 159 (06) 1892-1897
- 5 Petrin D, Delgaty K, Bhatt R, Garber G. Clinical and microbiological aspects of Trichomonas vaginalis. (Review) Clin Microbiol Rev 1998; 11 (02) 300-317
- 6 Stewart CJ. Tubulo-squamous vaginal polyp with basaloid epithelial differentiation. Int J Gynecol Pathol 2009; 28 (06) 563-566
- 7 Nickles SW, Burgis JT, Menon S, Bacon JL. Prepubertal Skene's abscess. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2009; 22 (01) e21-e22
- 8 Foster J, Lemack G, Zimmern P. Skene's gland cyst excision. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2016; 27 (05) 817-820
- 9 Kusama Y, Ito K, Suzuki T. Skene's duct cyst. J Gen Fam Med 2017; 18 (05) 299-300
- 10 Lucioni A, Rapp DE, Gong EM, Fedunok P, Bales GT. Diagnosis and management of periurethral cysts. Urol Int 2007; 78 (02) 121-125
- 11 Pollen JJ, Dreilinger A. Immunohistochemical identification of prostatic acid phosphatase and prostate specific antigen in female periurethral glands. Urology 1984; 23 (03) 303-304
- 12 Tepper SL, Jagirdar J, Heath D, Geller SA. Homology between the female paraurethral (Skene's) glands and the prostate. Immunohistochemical demonstration. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1984; 108 (05) 423-425
- 13 Tregnago AC, Epstein JI. Skene's glands adenocarcinoma: a series of 4 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2018; 42 (11) 1513-1521
- 14 Chaudhari VV, Patel MK, Douek M, Raman SS. MR imaging and US of female urethral and periurethral disease. Radiographics 2010; 30 (07) 1857-1874
- 15 Tamburrini S, Vascone C, Marrone V. et al. Skene's glands abscess an overlooked diagnosis in acute lower urinary symptoms. Radiol Case Rep 2021; 16 (12) 3751-3756
- 16 Maetzold E, Takacs EB. Urethral Pathology in Women. Curr Urol Rep 2022; 23 (10) 225-234
- 17 Sagar R, Shah MD, Victor W, Nitti M. Benign vaginal wall masses and paraurethral lesions. In: Vaginal Surgery for the Urologist. 1st ed.. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2012: 127-135
- 18 Laura M, Neeraja C, Denise B, Lisa C, Willy DG. Skene's gland cyst: a simple marsupialization technique. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2017; 28 (07) 1101-1102
- 19 Shah SR, Biggs GY, Rosenblum N, Nitti VW. Surgical management of Skene's gland abscess/infection: a contemporary series. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2012; 23 (02) 159-164
- 20 Köse O, Aydemir H, Metin O, Budak S, Sonbahar A, Adsan O. Experiences with the management of paraurethral cysts in adult women. Cent European J Urol 2014; 66 (04) 477-480
- 21 Sharifi-Aghdas F, Ghaderian N. Female paraurethral cysts: experience of 25 cases. BJU Int 2004; 93 (03) 353-253 DOI: 10.1111/j.1464-410x.2003.04615.x. . PMID: 14764136