Subscribe to RSS
Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator-Assisted Pancreatic Resection in Hyperinsulinism
07 April 2017
11 April 2017
23 May 2017 (online)
Introduction Diffuse congenital hyperinsulinemia continues to be poorly responsive to medical management. Surgical resection for this entity can be variable in extent and efficacy.
Materials and Methods This report describes a unique method of pancreatic resection for diffuse familial congenital hyperinsulinemia. The procedure maximizes pancreatic parenchymal removal while preserving blood supply to the vital structures adjacent to the head of the pancreas. Two cases of familial congenital hyperinsulinism are presented as well as a review of the current surgical literature.
Results The Cavitron ultrasonic surgical aspirator has been used successfully to assist in maximum resection of pancreatic tissue while preserving blood supply to the duodenum and common bile duct.
Conclusion This report describes a useful technique of maximizing pancreatic resection for patients with diffuse congenital hyperinsulinemia which preserves adjacent vital structures.
- 1 Roženková K, Güemes M, Shah P, Hussain K. The diagnosis and management of hyperinsulinaemic hypoglycaemia. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2015; 7 (02) 86-97
- 2 Fékété CN, de Lonlay P, Jaubert F, Rahier J, Brunelle F, Saudubray JM. The surgical management of congenital hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in infancy. J Pediatr Surg 2004; 39 (03) 267-269
- 3 Adzick NS, Thornton PS, Stanley CA, Kaye RD, Ruchelli E. A multidisciplinary approach to the focal form of congenital hyperinsulinism leads to successful treatment by partial pancreatectomy. J Pediatr Surg 2004; 39 (03) 270-275
- 4 De León DD, Stanley CA. Mechanisms of disease: advances in diagnosis and treatment of hyperinsulinism in neonates. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2007; 3 (01) 57-68
- 5 Stanley CA. Perspective on the genetics and diagnosis of congenital hyperinsulinism disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016; 101 (03) 815-826
- 6 de Lonlay-Debeney P, Poggi-Travert F, Fournet JC. , et al. Clinical features of 52 neonates with hyperinsulinism. N Engl J Med 1999; 340 (15) 1169-1175
- 7 Pierro A, Nah SA. Surgical management of congenital hyperinsulinism of infancy. Semin Pediatr Surg 2011; 20 (01) 50-53
- 8 Lovvorn III HN, Nance ML, Ferry Jr RJ. , et al. Congenital hyperinsulinism and the surgeon: lessons learned over 35 years. J Pediatr Surg 1999; 34 (05) 786-792 , discussion 792–793
- 9 Park HH, Kim HY, Jung SE, Lee SC, Park KW. Long-term functional outcomes of PPPD in children--nutritional status, pancreatic function, GI function and QOL. J Pediatr Surg 2016; 51 (03) 398-402
- 10 d'Ambrosio G, del Prete L, Grimaldi C. , et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for malignancies in children. J Pediatr Surg 2014; 49 (04) 534-538
- 11 Mansfield SA, Mahida JB, Dillhoff M. , et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy outcomes in the pediatric, adolescent, and young adult population. J Surg Res 2016; 204 (01) 232-236
- 12 Choi JS. Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator. In: Feldman L, Fuchshuber P, Jones DB. , eds. The SAGES Manual on the Fundamental Use of Surgical Energy (FUSE). New York: Springer; 2012: 133-138
- 13 Snajdauf J, Rygl M, Petru O. , et al. Duodenum-sparing technique of head resection in solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas in children. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2009; 19 (06) 354-357
- 14 Snajdauf J, Pýcha K, Rygl M. , et al. Papillary cystic and solid tumor of the pancreas--surgical therapy with the use of CUSA, and a review of the pediatric literature. Eur J Pediatr Surg 1999; 9 (06) 416-419
- 15 Ernst S, Demirci C, Valle S, Velazquez-Garcia S, Garcia-Ocaña A. Mechanisms in the adaptation of maternal β-cells during pregnancy. Diabetes Manag (Lond) 2011; 1 (02) 239-248
- 16 Dhawan S, Georgia S, Bhushan A. Formation and regeneration of the endocrine pancreas. Curr Opin Cell Biol 2007; 19 (06) 634-645
- 17 Berrocal T, Luque AA, Pinilla I, Lassaletta L. Pancreatic regeneration after near-total pancreatectomy in children with nesidioblastosis. Pediatr Radiol 2005; 35 (11) 1066-1070
- 18 Beltrand J, Caquard M, Arnoux JB. , et al. Glucose metabolism in 105 children and adolescents after pancreatectomy for congenital hyperinsulinism. Diabetes Care 2012; 35 (02) 198-203