Does Voiding Cystourethrogram Exclude Posterior Urethral Valves in Late Presenting Cases?
02 May 2018
13 August 2018
28 September 2018 (online)
Introduction Delayed presentation of posterior urethral valves (PUVs) is a rare condition. Presentation and diagnosis of the patients with late PUVs are challenging. Voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) is mainly practiced. In this study, we aimed to evaluate the children with late-presented PUVs, and the reliability of VCUG in this group.
Materials and Methods Between January 2003 and December 2017 records of patients who were diagnosed with late-presented PUVs were analyzed. Delayed presentation of PUV was defined as patients who were diagnosed and treated after infancy. Cases were examined in terms of age at diagnosis, presenting symptoms, urinalysis, urinary ultrasound, urodynamic studies, VCUG, and dimercaptosuccinic acid scintigraphy findings. Postoperative follow-up conditions were also assessed.
Results Seventeen boys were diagnosed with late-presented PUVs (mean age was 7.35 years). The most common symptoms at presentation were frequency (58.8%), day and nighttime incontinence (47%), and febrile urinary infection (41%). PUV was noted by VCUG in 10 patients alone. The classical sign of dilated posterior urethra was detected in 9 patients. The 10th patient had posterior urethral irregularity. Urethra could not be evaluated due to unsuccessful voiding in one patient. Six patients had normally appearing urethra on VCUG. Reflux was detected in nine (52.9%) patients.
Conclusion Late-presented PUVs may be missed on VCUG. Whether a PUV might be present is crucial in boys with a history of recurrent urinary infection, persistent reflux, and repetitive daytime incontinence. Based on our results, we conclude that cystoscopic examination should be preferred for those cases to diagnose PUVs regardless of VCUG results.
- 1 Yohannes P, Hanna M. Current trends in the management of posterior urethral valves in the pediatric population. Urology 2002; 60 (06) 947-953
- 2 Nasir AA, Ameh EA, Abdur-Rahman LO, Adeniran JO, Abraham MK. Posterior urethral valve. World J Pediatr 2011; 7 (03) 205-216
- 3 Casale AJ. Early ureteral surgery for posterior urethral valves. Urol Clin North Am 1990; 17 (02) 361-372
- 4 Keays MA, Mcalpine K, Welk B. All grown up: a transitional care perspective on the patient with posterior urethral valves. Can Urol Assoc J 2018; 12 (04) (Suppl. 01) S10-S14
- 5 Young HH, McKay RW. Congenital valvular obstruction of the prostatic urethra. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1929; 48: 509-542
- 6 Tsingoglou S, Dickson JA. Lower urinary obstruction in infancy. A review of lesions and symptoms in 165 cases. Arch Dis Child 1972; 47 (252) 215-217
- 7 Kaefer M, Barnewolt C, Retik AB, Peters CA. The sonographic diagnosis of infravesical obstruction in children: evaluation of bladder wall thickness indexed to bladder filling. J Urol 1997; 157 (03) 989-991
- 8 Young HH, Frontz WA, Baldwin JC. Congenital obstruction of the posterior urethra. J Urol, 3: 289-365, 1919. J Urol 2002; 167 (01) 265-267
- 9 Pieretti RV. The mild end of the clinical spectrum of posterior urethral valves. J Pediatr Surg 1993; 28 (05) 701-704
- 10 Dutkiewicz S. Posterior urethral valves in an adult male. A case report. Int Urol Nephrol 1994; 26 (05) 555-558
- 11 de Jong TP, Radmayr C, Dik P, Chrzan R, Klijn AJ, de Kort L. ; Pediatric Urology Club Meeting, Stans, Austria, January 2007. Posterior urethral valves: search for a diagnostic reference standard. Urology 2008; 72 (05) 1022-1025
- 12 Akbal C, Genc Y, Burgu B, Ozden E, Tekgul S. Dysfunctional voiding and incontinence scoring system: quantitative evaluation of incontinence symptoms in pediatric population. J Urol 2005; 173 (03) 969-973
- 13 Schwartz GJ, Brion LP, Spitzer A. The use of plasma creatinine concentration for estimating glomerular filtration rate in infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am 1987; 34 (03) 571-590
- 14 Kibar Y, Ashley RA, Roth CC, Frimberger D, Kropp BP. Timing of posterior urethral valve diagnosis and its impact on clinical outcome. J Pediatr Urol 2011; 7 (05) 538-542
- 15 Ansari MS, Singh P, Mandhani A. , et al. Delayed presentation in posterior urethral valve: long-term implications and outcome. Urology 2008; 71 (02) 230-234
- 16 Zornoza M, Angulo JM, Parente A, Simal S, Burgos L, Ortiz R. Late diagnosis of posterior urethral valves. Actas Urol Esp 2015; 39 (10) 646-650
- 17 Mahadik P, Vaddi SP, Godala CM, Sambar V, Kulkarni S, Gundala R. Posterior urethral valve: delayed presentation in adolescence. Int Neurourol J 2012; 16 (03) 149-152
- 18 Jesus CM, Trindade Filho JC, Goldberg J. Late presentation of posterior urethral valve: two case reports. Sao Paulo Med J 2008; 126 (02) 126-127
- 19 Bomalaski MD, Anema JG, Coplen DE, Koo HP, Rozanski T, Bloom DA. Delayed presentation of posterior urethral valves: a not so benign condition. J Urol 1999; 162 (06) 2130-2132
- 20 Schober JM, Dulabon LM, Woodhouse CR. Outcome of valve ablation in late-presenting posterior urethral valves. BJU Int 2004; 94 (04) 616-619
- 21 Parkhouse HF, Barratt TM, Dillon MJ. , et al. Long-term outcome of boys with posterior urethral valves. Br J Urol 1988; 62 (01) 59-62
- 22 Hendren WH. Posterior urethral valves in boys. A broad clinical spectrum. J Urol 1971; 106 (02) 298-307
- 23 Duckett JW. Editorial comment to: the mild end of the clinical spectrum of posterior urethral valves. J Pediatr Surg 1993; 28: 704-705
- 24 Jalbani IK, Biyabani SR. Late presentation of posterior urethral valves. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2014; 24 (02) (Suppl. 02) S155-S156
- 25 Reinberg Y, de Castano I, Gonzalez R. Prognosis for patients with prenatally diagnosed posterior urethral valves. J Urol 1992; 148 (01) 125-126
- 26 Tejani A, Butt K, Glassberg K, Price A, Gurumurthy K. Predictors of eventual end stage renal disease in children with posterior urethral valves. J Urol 1986; 136 (04) 857-860
- 27 Long CJ, Bowen DK. Predicting and modifying risk for development of renal failure in boys with posterior urethral valves. Curr Urol Rep 2018; 19 (07) 55
- 28 Concodora CW, Reddy PP, VanderBrink BA. The role of video urodynamics in the management of the valve bladder. Curr Urol Rep 2017; 18 (03) 24
- 29 Cohen HL, Susman M, Haller JO, Glassberg KI, Shapiro MA, Zinn DL. Posterior urethral valve: transperineal US for imaging and diagnosis in male infants. Radiology 1994; 192 (01) 261-264
- 30 Bosio M, Manzoni GA. Detection of posterior urethral valves with voiding cystourethrosonography with echo contrast. J Urol 2002; 168 (4 Pt 2): 1711-1715
- 31 de Kort LM, Uiterwaal CS, Beek EJ, Jan Nievelstein RA, Klijn AJ, de Jong TP. Reliability of voiding cystourethrography to detect urethral obstruction in boys. Urology 2004; 63 (05) 967-971