Can Freehand Elastosonography Be an Alternative to Renal Scintigraphy in Pediatric Vesicoureteral Reflux Cases?
28. Mai 2018
30. August 2018
31.Oktober 2018 (eFirst)
Introduction Detecting renal scar is important in pediatric patients with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) for deciding on treatment option. The aim of this study is to detect whether freehand elastosonography technique could be an alternative to dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) scan in determining renal scar formation.
Materials and Methods Between November 2015 and April 2016, 25 VUR patients, age ranging from 3 to 17 years admitted to our clinic, had urinary ultrasound and elastosonography, and data of approximately 147 renal region were recorded. Data were upper, middle, and lower pole renal parenchymal thickness and echogenicities obtained by ultrasound and these poles strain target (ST), strain reference (SR), and strain index (SI) values obtained by freehand elastosonography. DMSA scan data (differential function and upper, middle, and lower pole parenchymal scar formation) were recorded.
Results Scar formation and more than 10% reduction in differential function in renal scan were statistically higher in renal regions in which parenchymal thinning and echogenicity increase was detected by ultrasound. There was no elastosonographic data difference between renal units with and without differential function decrease. Also, there was no elastosonographic data difference between renal units with and without scar formation.
Conclusion In this study, we could not find any significant difference in term of tissue tension values (ST and SI) measured by freehand elastosonography between renal units with and without scar formation in renal scan.
This study was presented at the 28th ESPU Congress as S4–1 (PP) in Barcelona, Spain, 2017.
- 1 Merguerian PA, Jamal MA, Agarwal SK. , et al. Utility of SPECT DMSA renal scanning in the evaluation of children with primary vesicoureteral reflux. Urology 1999; 53 (05) 1024-1028
- 2 Shiraishi K, Yoshino K, Watanabe M, Matsuyama H, Tanikaze S. Risk factors for breakthrough infection in children with primary vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol 2010; 183 (04) 1527-1531
- 3 Duzova A, Ozen S. Vesicoureteral reflux in childhood. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2003; 14 (03) 290-295
- 4 Martinell J, Hansson S, Claesson I, Jacobsson B, Lidin-Janson G, Jodal U. Detection of urographic scars in girls with pyelonephritis followed for 13-38 years. Pediatr Nephrol 2000; 14 (10-11): 1006-1010
- 5 Lin KY, Chiu NT, Chen MJ. , et al. Acute pyelonephritis and sequelae of renal scar in pediatric first febrile urinary tract infection. Pediatr Nephrol 2003; 18 (04) 362-365
- 6 Peters CA, Skoog SJ, Arant Jr BS. , et al. Summary of the AUA guideline on management of primary vesicoureteral reflux in children. J Urol 2010; 184 (03) 1134-1144
- 7 Tekgul S, Riedmiller H, Gerharz E. , et al. Vesicoureteric reflux in children. EAU guidelines on paediatric urology. [serial online] 2011; 43-53 . Available at: http://www.uroweb.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Guidelines/19%20Paediatric%20Urology.pdf
- 8 Tekgul S, Riedmiller H, Hoebeke P. , et al. European Association of Urology. EAU guidelines on vesicoureteral reflux in children. Eur Urol 2012; 62 (03) 534-542
- 9 Tekgul S, Dogan HS, Hoebeke P. , et al. Vesicoureteric reflux in children. EAU Guidelines on paediatric urology. [serial online] 2014; 67-74 . Available at: http://uroweb.org/wp-content/uploads/23-Paediatric-Urology_LR-March-25th.pdf
- 10 Bush NC, Keays M, Adams C. , et al. Renal damage detected by DMSA, despite normal renal ultrasound, in children with febrile UTI. J Pediatr Urol 2015; 11 (03) 126.e1-126.e7
- 11 Michaud JE, Gupta N, Baumgartner TS, Kim B, Bosemani T, Wang MH. Cost and radiation exposure in the workup of febrile pediatric urinary tract infections. J Surg Res 2016; 203 (02) 313-318
- 12 Tian W, Hao S, Gao B. , et al. Comparing the diagnostic accuracy of RTE and SWE in differentiating malignant thyroid nodules from benign ones: a meta-analysis. Cell Physiol Biochem 2016; 39 (06) 2451-2463
- 13 Garra BS. Imaging and estimation of tissue elasticity by ultrasound. Ultrasound Q 2007; 23 (04) 255-268
- 14 Ricci P, Maggini E, Mancuso E, Lodise P, Cantisani V, Catalano C. Clinical application of breast elastography: state of the art. Eur J Radiol 2014; 83 (03) 429-437
- 15 Caione P, Ciofetta G, Collura G, Morano S, Capozza N. Renal damage in vesico-ureteric reflux. BJU Int 2004; 93 (04) 591-595
- 16 Piepsz A, Blaufox MD, Gordon I. , et al; Scientific Committee of Radionuclides in Nephrourology. Consensus on renal cortical scintigraphy in children with urinary tract infection. Semin Nucl Med 1999; 29 (02) 160-174
- 17 Barry BP, Hall N, Cornford E, Broderick NJ, Somers JM, Rose DH. Improved ultrasound detection of renal scarring in children following urinary tract infection. Clin Radiol 1998; 53 (10) 747-751
- 18 DeLong ER, DeLong DM, Clarke-Pearson DL. Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach. Biometrics 1988; 44 (03) 837-845
- 19 Hanley JA, McNeil BJ. The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. Radiology 1982; 143 (01) 29-36
- 20 Ophir J, Céspedes I, Ponnekanti H, Yazdi Y, Li X. Elastography: a quantitative method for imaging the elasticity of biological tissues. Ultrason Imaging 1991; 13 (02) 111-134
- 21 Sigrist RMS, Liau J, Kaffas AE, Chammas MC, Willmann JK. Ultrasound elastography: review of techniques and clinical applications. Theranostics 2017; 7 (05) 1303-1329
- 22 Göya C, Hamidi C, Ece A. , et al. Acoustic radiation force impulse (ARFI) elastography for detection of renal damage in children. Pediatr Radiol 2015; 45 (01) 55-61
- 23 Habibi HA, Cicek RY, Kandemirli SG. , et al. Acoustic radiation force impulse (ARFI) elastography in the evaluation of renal parenchymal stiffness in patients with ureteropelvic junction obstruction. J Med Ultrason (2001) 2017; 44 (02) 167-172
- 24 Byun HJ, Ha JY, Jung W, Kim BH, Park CH, Kim CI. The impact of obesity on febrile urinary tract infection and renal scarring in children with vesicoureteral reflux. J Pediatr Urol 2017; 13 (01) 67.e1-67.e6
- 25 Marticorena Garcia SR, Grossmann M, Lang ST. , et al. Full-field-of-view time-harmonic elastography of the native kidney. Ultrasound Med Biol 2018; 44 (05) 949-954
- 26 Singh H, Panta OB, Khanal U, Ghimire RK. Renal cortical elastography: normal values and variations. J Med Ultrasound 2017; 25 (04) 215-220