Oxidative DNA Damage and NOX4 Levels in Children with Undescended TestesFunding This work was supported by the Research Fund of the Yuzuncu Yil University. Project number: THD-2018-7437.
04 March 2019
23 April 2019
05 June 2019 (online)
Background Undescended testis (UDT) is a common urological disorder. Patients with UDT have a risk of malignancy and infertility. The development of these conditions may be due to oxidative stress mediated by reactive oxygen species. The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between these parameters by detecting oxidative DNA damage (8-hydroxy 2 deoxyguanosine/106 deoxyguanosine), ischemia-modified albumin (IMA), malondialdehyde (MDA), and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase 4 (NOX4) levels in children with UDT and healthy control group.
Materials and Methods The blood samples were obtained from 30 patients with UDT and 40 healthy male subjects. The levels of oxidative DNA damage were detected by high-pressure liquid chromatography method. We used commercially available kits that use enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay method to measure IMA, MDA, and NOX4 levels.
Results The levels of MDA, IMA, NOX4, and oxidative DNA damage in children with UDT were statistically significantly higher than control group. In addition, we found that the levels of NOX4, IMA, and oxidative DNA damage after 12 months of age was significantly higher than before 12 months of age.
Conclusion We identified increased lipid peroxidation, oxidative DNA damage, IMA, and NOX4 levels in children with UDT. Delay in the treatment of UDT may cause oxidative damage. That is why, according to us the antioxidant treatment may be beneficial in children with UDT.
Keywordsundescended testis - ischemia-modified albumin - malondialdehyde - NOX4 - oxidative DNA damage
V.A. and H.H.A. conceived, designed, and did statistical analysis and editing of the article. K.A. and V.A. did data collection and article writing. V.A., K.A., and H.H.A. reviewed and approved the final article.
- 1 Thorup J. Cryptorchidism: an update. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2016; 26 (05) 389
- 2 Alver A, İmamoğlu M, Menteşe A. , et al. Malondialdehyde and CA II autoantibody levels are elevated in children with undescended testes. World J Urol 2014; 32 (01) 209-213
- 3 Niedzielski JK, Oszukowska E, Słowikowska-Hilczer J. Undescended testis - current trends and guidelines: a review of the literature. Arch Med Sci 2016; 12 (03) 667-677
- 4 Thorup J, Cortes D. Long-term follow-up after treatment of cryptorchidism. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2016; 26 (05) 427-431
- 5 Imamoğlu M, Bülbül SS, Kaklikkaya N, Sarihan H. Oxidative, inflammatory and immunologic status in children with undescended testes. Pediatr Int 2012; 54 (06) 816-819
- 6 Mirilas P, Panayiotides I, Mentessidou A. , et al. Effect of testis nondescent or orchidopexy on antisperm antibodies and testis histology in rats. Fertil Steril 2010; 94 (04) 1504-1509
- 7 Roy D, Quiles J, Gaze DC, Collinson P, Kaski JC, Baxter GF. Role of reactive oxygen species on the formation of the novel diagnostic marker ischaemia modified albumin. Heart 2006; 92 (01) 113-114
- 8 Tusat M, Mentese A, Demir S, Alver A, Imamoglu M. Medical ozone therapy reduces oxidative stress and testicular damage in an experimental model of testicular torsion in rats. Int Braz J Urol 2017; 43 (06) 1160-1166
- 9 Serrander L, Cartier L, Bedard K. , et al. NOX4 activity is determined by mRNA levels and reveals a unique pattern of ROS generation. Biochem J 2007; 406 (01) 105-114
- 10 Lou Z, Wang AP, Duan XM. , et al. Upregulation of NOX2 and NOX4 mediated by TGF-β signaling pathway exacerbates cerebral ischemia/reperfusion oxidative stress injury. Cell Physiol Biochem 2018; 46 (05) 2103-2113
- 11 Braunersreuther V, Montecucco F, Asrih M. , et al. Role of NADPH oxidase isoforms NOX1, NOX2 and NOX4 in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Mol Cell Cardiol 2013; 64: 99-107
- 12 Alp HH, Huyut Z, Yildirim S, Başbugan Y, Ediz L, Şekeroğlu MR. The effect of PDE5 inhibitors on bone and oxidative damage in ovariectomy-induced osteoporosis. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2017; 242 (10) 1051-1061
- 13 Kolon TF, Herndon CDA, Baker LA. , et al; American Urological Assocation. Evaluation and treatment of cryptorchidism: AUA guideline. J Urol 2014; 192 (02) 337-345
- 14 European Association of Urology. Guidelines of Pediatric Urology 2014 [cited November 2014]. Available at: uroweb.org/wp-content/uploads/22-Paediatric-Urology.pdf . Accessed May 16, 2014
- 15 Neyzi O, Bundak R, Gökçay G. , et al. Reference values for weight, height, head circumference, and body mass index in Turkish children. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2015; 7 (04) 280-293
- 16 Kaur H, Halliwell B. Measurement of oxidized and methylated DNA bases by HPLC with electrochemical detection. Biochem J 1996; 318 (Pt 1): 21-23
- 17 Shigenaga MK, Aboujaoude EN, Chen Q, Ames BN. Assays of oxidative DNA damage biomarkers 8-oxo-2′-deoxyguanosine and 8-oxoguanine in nuclear DNA and biological fluids by high-performance liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection. Methods Enzymol 1994; 234: 16-33
- 18 Armstrong D. Free Radical and Antioxidant Protocols. New York: Humana Press; 1998
- 19 Aitken RJ, Roman SD. Antioxidant systems and oxidative stress in the testes. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2008; 1 (01) 15-24
- 20 Taken K, Alp HH, Eryilmaz R. , et al. Oxidative DNA damage to sperm cells and peripheral blood leukocytes in infertile men. Med Sci Monit 2016; 22: 4289-4296
- 21 Shiraishi K, Takihara H, Matsuyama H. Elevated scrotal temperature, but not varicocele grade, reflects testicular oxidative stress-mediated apoptosis. World J Urol 2010; 28 (03) 359-364
- 22 Irshad M, Chaudhuri PS. Oxidant-antioxidant system: role and significance in human body. Indian J Exp Biol 2002; 40 (11) 1233-1239
- 23 Kutlu O, Mentese A, Turkmen S. , et al. Investigation of the possibility of using ischemia-modified albumin in testicular torsion: an experimental study. Fertil Steril 2011; 95 (04) 1333-1337
- 24 Valavanidis A, Vlachogianni T, Fiotakis C. 8-hydroxy-2′ -deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG): a critical biomarker of oxidative stress and carcinogenesis. J Environ Sci Health C Environ Carcinog Ecotoxicol Rev 2009; 27 (02) 120-139
- 25 Dincer Y, Akcay T, Kural AR. , et al. Evaluation of 8-hydroxy-2 '-deoxyguanosine concentration and antioxidant enzyme activities in bladder cancer patients. Turk Klin Tip Bilim. 2011; 31 (03) 553-558
- 26 Sabatini L, Barbieri A, Tosi M, Roda A, Violante FS. A method for routine quantitation of urinary 8-hydroxy-2′-deoxyguanosine based on solid-phase extraction and micro-high-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2005; 19 (02) 147-152
- 27 Dąbrowska N, Wiczkowski A. Analytics of oxidative stress markers in the early diagnosis of oxygen DNA damage. Adv Clin Exp Med 2017; 26 (01) 155-166
- 28 Maru Y, Nishino T, Kakinuma K. Expression of Nox genes in rat organs, mouse oocytes, and sea urchin eggs. DNA Seq 2005; 16 (02) 83-88
- 29 The Human Protein Atlas. NOX4 2018 . Available at: https://www.proteinatlas.org/ENSG00000086991-NOX4/tissue/testis . Accessed May 16, 2019