Subscribe to RSS
Experience in the Treatment of Pentalogy of Cantrell with Artificial Materials in a Single Clinical Center
Objective To summarize experience in the treatment of pentalogy of Cantrell (POC) in our hospital and explore the effect of artificial materials in repairing sternal defects.
Materials and Methods A retrospective analysis was performed on treatment of five children with POC treated by using the Gore-Tex patch and titanium mesh in the Department of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, Children's Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, from January 2010 to January 2019.
Results The concurrent conditions included double outlet of right ventricle (n = 2), ventricular septal defect (VSD) and atrial septal defect (ASD) (n = 1), VSD and ASD and patent ductus arteriosus (n = 1), and VSD and left ventricular diverticulum (n = 1) in five cases with POC. Color Doppler echocardiography and computed tomography (CT) + three-dimensional (3D) reconstruction of the thorax and abdomen were performed preoperatively. The cardiac malformation was corrected according to color Doppler echocardiography, and a Gore-Tex patch was used to repair the pericardial defect. Titanium mesh was made according to CT 3D reconstruction with a 3D printing mold to repair sternal defects. All patients underwent a one-stage operation, all hearts were eventually repositioned, no deaths occurred after the operation, and follow-up was performed for 6 months to 2 years. The patients recovered well, and the exterior thorax was normal.
Conclusion The diagnosis of POC is not difficult. The priority of surgical treatment for POC is to obtain satisfactory corrections of cardiac malformation. The repair of the pericardial defect with the Gore-Tex patch and the sternal defect with the titanium mesh can make the heart return to the mediastinum, reduce the pressure on the heart, reduce the surgical trauma, reduce the difficulty of repairing the sternal defect, and optimally restore the exterior thorax.
* Gang Wang and Linyun Xi contributed equally and hold the first authorship.
Received: 08 April 2021
Accepted: 01 October 2021
25 November 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Mărginean C, Mărginean CO, Gozar L. et al. Cantrell syndrome–a rare complex congenital anomaly: a case report and literature review. Front Pediatr 2018; 6: 201
- 2 Jnah AJ, Newberry DM, England A. Pentalogy of Cantrell: case report with review of the literature. Adv Neonatal Care 2015; 15 (04) 261-268
- 3 Mallula KK, Sosnowski C, Awad S. Spectrum of Cantrell's pentalogy: case series from a single tertiary care center and review of the literature. Pediatr Cardiol 2013; 34 (07) 1703-1710
- 4 Khoury MJ, Cordero JF, Rasmussen S. Ectopia cordis, midline defects and chromosome abnormalities: an epidemiologic perspective. Am J Med Genet 1988; 30 (03) 811-817
- 5 Cantrell JR, Haller JA, Ravitch MM. A syndrome of congenital defects involving the abdominal wall, sternum, diaphragm, pericardium, and heart. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1958; 107 (05) 602-614
- 6 Restrepo MS, Cerqua A, Turek JW. Pentalogy of Cantrell with ectopia cordis totalis, total anomalous pulmonary venous connection, and tetralogy of Fallot: a case report and review of the literature. Congenit Heart Dis 2014; 9 (04) E129-E134
- 7 Zhang X, Xing Q, Sun J, Hou X, Kuang M, Zhang G. Surgical treatment and outcomes of pentalogy of Cantrell in eight patients. J Pediatr Surg 2014; 49 (08) 1335-1340
- 8 Bennett TL, Burlbaw J, Drake CK, Finley BE. Diagnosis of ectopia cordis at 12 weeks gestation using transabdominal ultrasonography with color flow Doppler. J Ultrasound Med 1991; 10 (12) 695-696
- 9 Qin T, Liu Y, An Y. Repair of inferior sternal cleft using a titanium plate in an infant with pentalogy of Cantrell. J Card Surg 2016; 31 (11) 700-702
- 10 Ali MA, Tazmin T, Latif T. et al. Incomplete pentalogy of Cantrell–a case report. Mymensingh Med J 2016; 25 (01) 153-157
- 11 Idhrees AM, Annamalai A. A case of pentalogy of Cantrell with double outlet right ventricle. Indian J Med Res 2015; 142 (03) 348-349
- 12 Patil AR, Praveen LS, Ambica V. Pentalogy of Cantrell: a case report. BJR Case Rep 2015; 1 (02) 20140002
- 13 Wen L, Jun-lin L, Jia H. et al. Cantrell syndrome with complex cardiac malformations: a case report. J Pediatr Surg 2011; 46 (07) 1455-1458
- 14 Jafarian AH, Omidi AA, Fazel A, Sadeghian H, Joushan B. Pentalogy of Cantrell: a case report. J Res Med Sci 2011; 16 (01) 105-109
- 15 Balderrábano-Saucedo N, Vizcaíno-Alarcón A, Sandoval-Serrano E. et al. Pentalogy of Cantrell: forty-two years of experience in the Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg 2011; 2 (02) 211-218
- 16 Ghidini A, Sirtori M, Romero R, Hobbins JC. Prenatal diagnosis of pentalogy of Cantrell. J Ultrasound Med 1988; 7 (10) 567-572
- 17 Divkovic D, Kvolik S, Sipl M. et al. A successful early Gore-Tex reconstruction of an abdominal wall defect in a neonate with Cantrell pentalogy: a case report and literature review. Clin Case Rep 2015; 3 (01) 19-23
- 18 Mizelle KM, Holtzlander M, Ajaz F, McConnell PI, Splaingard ML. Adult survivor with repaired complete pentalogy of Cantrell. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg 2014; 5 (04) 586-588
- 19 Zhang X, Zhang W, Xiao M. et al. Surgical diagnosis and treatment of eight cases with pentalogy of Cantrell. Chinese J Cardiovasc Res 2011; 9 (05) 335-339
- 20 Sakasai Y, Thang BQ, Kanemoto S. et al. Staged repair of pentalogy of Cantrell with ectopia cordis and ventricular septal defect. J Card Surg 2012; 27 (03) 390-392
- 21 Marino AL, Levy RJ, Berger JT, Donofrio MT. Pentalogy of Cantrell with a single-ventricle cardiac defect: collaborative management of a complex disease. Pediatr Cardiol 2011; 32 (04) 498-502
- 22 Williams AP, Marayati R, Beierle EA. Pentalogy of Cantrell. Semin Pediatr Surg 2019; 28 (02) 106-110
- 23 Yang Y, Jiang Z, Ding F. One-stage surgical treatment for Cantrell syndrome without repairing the left ventricular diverticulum: a case report. Cardiol Young 2016; 26 (01) 191-193
- 24 Liu Y, Yang J, Jin Z, Zhu H, Yu S, Sun G. One-stage surgical correction in pentalogy of Cantrell with left ventricular diverticulum. J Card Surg 2014; 29 (03) 413-416
- 25 Singh N, Bera ML, Sachdev MS, Aggarwal N, Joshi R, Kohli V. Pentalogy of Cantrell with left ventricular diverticulum: a case report and review of literature. Congenit Heart Dis 2010; 5 (05) 454-457
- 26 Naren Satya SM, Mayilvaganan KR, Prathyusha IS, Gautam MS, Raidu D, Amogh VN. A recurrent case of pentalogy of Cantrell: a rare case with sonological findings and review of literature. Pol J Radiol 2017; 82: 28-31
- 27 Zani-Ruttenstock E, Zani A, Honjo O, Chiu P. Pentalogy of Cantrell: is echocardiography sufficient in the neonatal period?. European J Pediatr Surg Rep 2017; 5 (01) e9-e11
- 28 Araujo Júnior E, Carrilho MC, Toneto BR, Guilhen JCS. Pentalogy of Cantrell: prenatal diagnosis, delivery, and immediate postnatal surgical repair. J Neonatal Surg 2017; 6 (02) 32
- 29 Sabiston Jr DC. The surgical management of congenital bifid sternum with partial ectopia cordis. J Thorac Surg 1958; 35 (01) 118-122
- 30 Kim CW, Cho HM, Son BS, Kim DH. Neo-sternum reconstruction using costal cartilage approximation and small Permacol patch repair in the treatment of Cantrell pentalogy: a case report. J Cardiothorac Surg 2015; 10: 40
- 31 Grudziak J, Kogon B. Split-thickness cartilage grafts for chest wall reconstruction in pentalogy of Cantrell. Congenit Heart Dis 2013; 8 (01) 62-65