Subscribe to RSS
The Future of Pediatric Surgery—Women and Part Time?
Introduction Working conditions are changing rapidly in medicine. We analyzed the actual work situation and future plans in the next 5 years and in the long term.
Materials and Methods A survey among the members of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery was performed asking how and where physicians work now and how and where they want to work in the future.
Results Five hundred twelve questionnaires were sent out, and 195 colleagues answered the questionnaire (99 women, 94 men, and 2 of unknown gender). Among them, 27% were trainees, 16% were fully trained pediatric surgeons, 6% were senior physicians, and 50% were consultants, while 66% worked full time, 25% worked part time, and 8% did not work in pediatric surgery. In the future, 49% of consultants and 24% of the trainees wanted to work part time. Among the 73 participants who wanted to become a department head, 33% of them also wanted to work part time.
Conclusion Pediatric surgery is changing toward a discipline with many female doctors and people working part time. Leaders in pediatric surgery should be aware of this development to adapt their working conditions to reality.
Received: 03 June 2021
Accepted: 13 December 2021
Article published online:
03 February 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Royal College of Surgeons of England. Women in surgery - Statistics. Royal College of Surgeons. Published 2020. Accessed April 24, 2021 at: https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/careers-in-surgery/women-in-surgery/statistics/
- 2 Kawase K, Nomura K, Tominaga R. et al. Analysis of gender-based differences among surgeons in Japan: results of a survey conducted by the Japan Surgical Society. Part 1: working style. Surg Today 2018; 48 (01) 33-43
- 3 Bohrer T, Koller M, Schlitt HJ, Bauer H.. German Society of Surgery. Workload and quality of life of surgeons. Results and implications of a large-scale survey by the German Society of Surgery. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2011; 396 (05) 669-676
- 4 Adzick NS, Scipione AW. Pediatric surgical workload during the past decade: impact on clinical activity and hospital finance at a children's hospital. J Pediatr Surg 1999; 34 (01) 133-136
- 5 Brandt ML. Sustaining a career in surgery. Am J Surg 2017; 214 (04) 707-714
- 6 Khoushhal Z, Hussain MA, Greco E. et al. Prevalence and causes of attrition among surgical residents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Surg 2017; 152 (03) 265-272
- 7 McDonald RE, Jeeves AE, Vasey CE, Wright DM, O'Grady G. Supply and demand mismatch for flexible (part-time) surgical training in Australasia. Med J Aust 2013; 198 (08) 423-425
- 8 Kassenärztliche Bundesvereinigung. Berufsmonitoring Medizinstudierende. 2018 . Accessed April 24, 2021, at: https://www.kbv.de/media/sp/Berufsmonitoring_Medizinstudierende_2018.pdf
- 9 Vallböhmer D, Fuchs H, Dittmar R, Krones CJ. “Nehmen wir jetzt jeden?” – Eine Umfrage in deutschen chirurgischen Kliniken. Passion Chirurgie. 2018;8(05): Artikel 04_02. Accessed April 24, 2021 at: https://www.bdc.de/nehmen-wir-jetzt-jeden-eine-umfrage-in-deutschen-chirurgischen-kliniken/
- 10 Balch CM, Shanafelt TD, Sloan JA, Satele DV, Freischlag JA. Distress and career satisfaction among 14 surgical specialties, comparing academic and private practice settings. Ann Surg 2011; 254 (04) 558-568
- 11 Reismann M, Ellerkamp V, Dingemann J. Working and training conditions of residents in pediatric surgery: a nationwide survey in Germany. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2010; 20 (05) 294-297
- 12 McBride CA, Holland AJA. Theatre of paediatric surgery. J Paediatr Child Health 2015; 51 (01) 98-102
- 13 Swiss Society of Pediatric Surgery. Members. Accessed April 25, 2021 at: https://www.swiss-pediatricsurgery.org/de/die-gesellschaft/mitglieder
- 14 German Medical Association. [Statistics of medical doctors]. Accessed April 25, 2021 at: https://www.bundesaerztekammer.de/ueber-uns/aerztestatistik/
- 15 German Society of Pediatric Surgery. [Vacancies in Pediatric Surgery]. Homepage of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery - Vacancies. Accessed October 10, 2021 at: https://www.dgkch.de/menu-kinderchirurgie-in-deutschland/menu_stellenmarkt
- 16 Schmedding A, Rolle U, Czauderna P. European pediatric surgical training. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2017; 27 (03) 245-250
- 17 Schmedding A, Rolle U. Decentralized rather than centralized pediatric surgery care in Germany. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2017; 27 (05) 399-406
- 18 Emil S, Langer JC, Blair G. et al. The Canadian pediatric surgery workforce: a 5-year prospective study. J Pediatr Surg 2019; 54 (05) 1009-1012
- 19 German Society of Pediatric Surgery. [Departments of pediatric surgery]. Accessed April 25, 2021 at: https://www.dgkch.de/menu-kinderchirurgie-in-deutschland/menu-kinderchirurgische-kliniken-praxen/menu-kinderchirurgische-kliniken
- 20 Bouchard S, Laberge JM. Pediatric surgeons' activities and future plans. J Pediatr Surg 1997; 32 (06) 801-805
- 21 Bagwell CE, Chiu P, Fecteau A. et al. 2016 CAPS ethics session/Ein debate: 1. Regionalization of pediatric surgical care 2. Ethical introduction of surgical innovation 3. Addressing stress in a surgical practice: resiliency, well-being, and burnout. J Pediatr Surg 2017; 52 (05) 864-871
- 22 Ärzteblatt DÄG Redaktion Deutsches. Arbeitszeit: Ärzte machen im Schnitt zehn Überstunden pro Woche. Deutsches Ärzteblatt. Published March 10, 2021. Accessed October 12, 2021 at: https://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachrichten/121915/Arbeitszeit-Aerzte-machen-im-Schnitt-zehn-Ueberstunden-pro-Woche
- 23 Lachish S, Svirko E, Goldacre MJ, Lambert T. Factors associated with less-than-full-time working in medical practice: results of surveys of five cohorts of UK doctors, 10 years after graduation. Hum Resour Health 2016; 14 (01) 62
- 24 Katz A, Mallory B, Gilbert JC. et al. State of the practice for pediatric surgery–career satisfaction and concerns. A report from the American Pediatric Surgical Association Task Force on Family Issues. J Pediatr Surg 2010; 45 (10) 1975-1982
- 25 Smith NP, Dykes EH, Youngson GS, Losty PD. Is the grass greener? A survey of female pediatric surgeons in the United Kingdom. J Pediatr Surg 2006; 41 (11) 1879-1881
- 26 Emil S. Satisfaction levels of paediatric surgeons in Canada. Paediatr Child Health 2014; 19 (09) 481-484
- 27 Díaz Diñeiro M, Martínez Martínez L, García Soldevila N, López Santamaría M. Working status of Spanish pediatric surgeons. Cir Pediatr 2020; 33 (04) 188-192 . Last accessed on January 9, 2022, at: https://secipe.org/coldata/upload/revista/2020_33-4_188.pdf
- 28 Histing T, Burkhardt M, Rollmann M, Menger MD, Pohlemann T. Funktionsoberarzt Pseudotitel oder sinnvolle Position?. Unfallchirurg 2014; 117 (06) 557-559 . Last accessed on January 9, 2022, at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24903505/
- 29 Zhuge Y, Kaufman J, Simeone DM, Chen H, Velazquez OC. Is there still a glass ceiling for women in academic surgery?. Ann Surg 2011; 253 (04) 637-643
- 30 Abelson JS, Chartrand G, Moo TA, Moore M, Yeo H. The climb to break the glass ceiling in surgery: trends in women progressing from medical school to surgical training and academic leadership from 1994 to 2015. Am J Surg 2016; 212 (04) 566-572.e1
- 31 Caniano DA, Sonnino RE, Paolo AM. Keys to career satisfaction: insights from a survey of women pediatric surgeons. J Pediatr Surg 2004; 39 (06) 984-990
- 32 Dingemann C. The female pediatric surgeon. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2017; 27 (03) 228-233
- 33 Martin W. Ärztlicher Stellenmarkt: Will bald niemand mehr Chefarzt werden?. Dtsch Arztebl 2014; 111(39):
- 34 Krell D. [Jobsharing at the hospital: Part-time head of department - that works!]. Health Relations | Deutscher Ärzteverlag präsentiert: Marken. Macher. Trends. Published January 15, 2021. Accessed April 25, 2021 at: https://www.healthrelations.de/jobsharing-krankenhaus_chefaerztinnen/
- 35 Federal Statistical Office of Germany. [Medical Doctors at 31.12, pediatric surgery]. Accessed October 12, 2021 at: https://www.gbe-bund.de/gbe/pkg_isgbe5.prc_menu_olap?p_uid=gast&p_aid=38425581&p_sprache=D&p_help=2&p_indnr=537&p_indsp=37806197&p_ansnr=33626927&p_version=9
- 36 Story DA, Tait AR. Survey research. Anesthesiology 2019; 130 (02) 192-202