© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
A Bioactive Polyacetylene Compound Isolated from Centella asiatica
Received: March 8, 2007
Revised: April 9, 2007
Accepted: April 13, 2007
22 May 2007 (online)
A polyacetylene compound was isolated from the aerial parts of Centella asiatica. The chemical structure of this new compound was identified as methyl 5-[(E)-9-hydroxy-1-(1-hydroxyhexyl)-2-methoxyundeca-3,10-diene-5,7-diynyloxy]pentanoate (cadiyenol). This compound induces apoptosis (63 %) independent of cell cycle regimen in mouse lymphoma cells (P388D1) at 28 μM (IC50 = 24 ± 2 μM) in 24 hours. The compound also reduces nitric oxide production by 70 ± 2 % in lipopolysacharride-activated mouse macrophages at 24 μM with no measurable cytotoxicity.
- 1 Veerendra Kumar M H, Gupta Y K. Effect of different extracts of Centella asiatica on cognition and markers of oxidative stress in rats. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2002; 79 253-60.
- 2 Cheng C L, Guo J S, Luk J, Koo M WL. The healing effects of Centella extract and asiaticoside on acetic acid induced gastric ulcers in rats. Life Sci. 2004; 74 2237-49.
- 3 Schulte K E, Rucker G, Bary E A. Polyacetylene from Hydrocotyle asiatica L. Arch Pharm. 1973; 306 197-209.
- 4 Sugimori M, Ejima A, Ohsuki S, Uoto K, Mitsut I, Matsumoto K. et al . Antitumor agents. 7.l. Synthesis and antitumor activity of novel hexacyclic camptothecin analogues. J Med Chem. 1994; 37 3033-9.
- 5 Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983; 65 55-63.
- 6 Vermes I, Haanen C, Nakken H S, Reutelingsperger C. A novel assay for apoptosis. Flow cytometric detection of phosphatidylserine expression on early apoptotic cells using fluorescein labeled annexin V. J Immunol Methods. 1995; 184 39-51.
- 7 Leoni L M, Hamel E, Genini D, Shih H, Carrera C J, Cottam H B. et al . Indanocine, a microtubule-binding indanone and a selective inducer of apoptosis in multidrug-resistant cancer cells. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000; 92 217-24.
- 8 Green L C, Wagner D A, Glogowski J, Skipper P L, Wishnok J S, Tannenbaum S R. Analysis of nitrate, nitrite, and [15N]nitrate in biological fluids. Anal Biochem. 1982; 126 131-8.
- 9 Young E C, Ahn H, Ryu J H. Polyacetylenes from Angelica gigas and their inhibitory activity on nitric oxide synthesis in activated macrophages. Biol Pharm Bull. 2000; 23 884-6.
Professor ChoKyun Rha
Biomaterials Science and Engineering Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 56-265